Wives and guitars

59 Posts
38 Users
0 Likes
11.4 K Views
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Do any of you who are married or have girlfriends, do they turn a funny look when you walk in the room with your guitar? LOL

IE: my whole family seems to scatter when i walk in the living room with my guitar !! LOL

I tell them, you can all laugh now, but I'll be laughing all the way to the bank once i get good at at it !! LOL

SLODOGG62

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Early on, my wife told me she'd listen to me when I got as good as Eric Clapton. Kinda hurt my feelings. Knew that'd never happen. But I couldn't blame her for not wanting to hear it. Years later, though, she asked me to sit around and play slow slide blues as she lay on the sofa with a migraine. Said it relaxed her.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Normally, I'd be upstairs out of everyone's way while playing guitar - computer's upstairs, guitars and amps are upstairs. But occasionally I feel the need to bring an acoustic downstairs, or even outside if it's a nice day (about twice a year then...) for some gentle strumming. Also, occasionally, I'll play electric or bass unplugged while watching TV....

But for most of the time, I'll keep out of everyone's way - I find I can concentrate better....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member

Normally, I'd be upstairs out of everyone's way while playing guitar - computer's upstairs, guitars and amps are upstairs. But occasionally I feel the need to bring an acoustic downstairs, or even outside if it's a nice day (about twice a year then...) for some gentle strumming. Also, occasionally, I'll play electric or bass unplugged while watching TV....

But for most of the time, I'll keep out of everyone's way - I find I can concentrate better....

Vic

Same here. I can definitely concentrate better when I`m on my own. So I kinda make a little lair and it gets known as Vicky`s guitar place! Quite cool, if I do say so myself. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hmm. Wives had problems with my guitar - number one hated the fact that I was a better player than her brother, and number two hated the fact that once the novelty wore off she couldn't play anything other than a recorder.

I've been living with my girlfriend for a little over two years now, and she sits and listens to me playing, lugs gear when I'm performing, and tells me when I'm playing well. There's someone out there for all of us

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I have a small area set aside for music. Who ever wants to play or listen to music can be there.

I have a larger family, and I don't expect people to want to listen to me just because I happen to want to play and be listened too.

They know where I am if they want a show ;)

My wife and daughter regularly join me to listen. My oldest boy regularly asks me to comp something while he plays his sax. the middle two boys just want to know if they can play the ps/2 since I'm not watching the TV :)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@doc-gliss)
Eminent Member

On our very first date, my wife-to-be introduced me to her mother who, in turn, introduced me to her 1961 Gibson J-50 acoustic. As we approach the thirtieth anniversary of that first date, my wife is so accustomed to hearing me play, she'd wonder what was wrong if I went more than a couple of days without doing so. Usually I play in my guitar room, not counting gigs of course, with occasional forays onto the front porch on nice summer evenings. Funny looks? Nah. But then I know her well enough to know when she's not in the mood to be "serenaded". At other times, she sits in my guitar room while I play. Every once in a great while, if she's having trouble going to sleep, I'll play some gentle acoustic stuff and she'll be out in about ten minutes. But most of the time, she kinda tunes me out like the music in the doctor's office.

Incidentally, my mother-in-law stopped playing about ten years ago, and that '61 J-50 moved in with us. :D

If the dude woke up this mornin', he's playin'.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The only problem my Mrs has with my guitars is the fact that I have to spend money on them - last time I changed strings, I showed her the difference in tone between the old strings and the new ones - she now grudgingly admits that they need changing now and then. About every ten years would suit her purse......

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

:lol: For my wife, if I don't have it, it's like, "Where's your guitar?" . I played Stairway to Heaven for her on our first date ...... ummm 24 years ago and she is used to me with a guitar. She tells me she likes to hear me play. She puts up with the 18 guitars in the house too. (Along with my son's 5 bass guitars) My kids grew up with it. They are always telling me I am better than (incert your favorite local musician here). They are full of crap but they mean well. :roll:

Slodog ... just curious ..... Booneville where? We got one in New York.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Usually my girlfriend lies: she says I play well :lol:

We go to the stores together and view/play the guitars. She puts the "female touch". Also contributes to my pick collection.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

My wife has more guitars than I do (4 v 2), and plays more often than I do. And since she can sing and I can't, we play pretty much on her schedule. Which isn't as often as we'd like, but fun when we do.

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

I'm lucky aswell, my girlfriend has no problem with me playing, even though she doesn't care much for the music i play, actually tried to get me to teach her..... even cut her nails to give it ago.
hasn't worked out so far.She's more into learning to play drums, her birthday's coming up soon - pitty the bonus doesn't come around twice a year.

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

Sometimes I play a rehearsed song to my wife and she applauds.....but other times I'm just making some warm-ups like scales and she applauds the same :)

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

My wife only has a problem if she wants to have a good talk, bc I don't really divide my attention well. For me, the issue is more about finding quiet time when there is nothing else that "needs" to be done. My boys think it's great, and they all want steel-string acoustics "like Dad's." How cool is that?

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

Former Wife #1 wanted to learn to pick melodies and harmonies with me, but it wasn't to be....however, she became a pretty darn good bass player, even filled in for our band bass player if he was unavailable.
Former Wife #2 was a Conservatory-trained classical teacher of voice, piano, and theory. Thought I was nuts to play by ear, and didn't like country at all, except for Johnny Cash.
Former Wife #3 has two brothers and three nephews who all sing and play quite well. Two of them are really good. and we did some gigs together..... I miss those brothers and nephews a lot.
My current lady friend likes everything from jazz and swing to 60's pop, to country & bluegrass....all of which I do by times, and she likes being "sung to" now and then. We'll see. :wink:

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4