Clear all

Wives and guitars

59 Posts
38 Users
0 Likes
11.4 K Views
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

So far I practice in the same room with my boyfriend cus thats where we "live." He doesn't care what it sounds like; he doesn't want to do anything to discourage me and doesn't care how bad or slow or nonsense it sounds right now. :)

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

My wife bought me a new, beautiful strap for my new Strat for Valentines day this year. More than I would have ever spent on a strap. She's always been behind me with the music. Once, a band I was in as bass player played a gig in a club that was unadvertised and she was the only person in the audience the entire night. We did get free pizza out of the deal. She mentioned that she had keyboard lessons once, so I got her a keyboard, that she never plays. I have never been good at keys, but this was around the time we had just seen "Shine." I walked by one morning and just started playing the melody from Rachmaninov, she just laughed and shook her head. I have a few harmonicas, wood flutes, ukele, mandolin, and when I got the sitar, she asked if there was if there was anything I couldn't play. I said the tambourine. Just can't do that shake and beat thing. I look like a fool with one of those things. SO...I got her a set of bongos once. They're still in the closet. She says I'll laugh at her. I say her problem is all inside, her atitude. She says she just wants to bang on the thing, I say then just bang. She says it's embaressing to have me around when she plays. I say then play when I'm gone. Nothing works.

Sorry if that rant went on too long.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@williewannabe)

I would like to trade my wife for a new guitar ! Heck, I will even take a cheap guitar. Can ya tell I get no support for my guitar playing ? :(

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

You should listen to "Once There Was A Time" by Ten Years After, "A Space In Time" lp.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

My wife (girlfriend at the time) bought my first guitar. 'Nuff said. :)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Former Wife #2 was a Conservatory-trained classical teacher of voice, piano, and theory. Thought I was nuts to play by ear, and didn't like country at all, except for Johnny Cash.

Classical training conflicts badly with rock-n-roll. A classical pianist can play from sheet music that has 1000s of notes on it, but ask them for a I-IV-V in G, and they're often lost.

Of course, there's always:

"How do you get the bass player to stop playing?"
"Put sheet music in front of him."

ReplyQuote
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member

Former Wife #1
Former Wife #2
Former Wife #3 :wink:

Good god man...stop getting married. LOL

My wife is much like other's , in that, she very supportive and she has an uncanny knack for tuning music out. She does like me to play some classical for her as she falls asleep, but she never returns the favor...women :roll: I do her, why can't she do me...wait a second where am I?...wrong forum. :shock: :P

About the only thing she get irritated about is my bad GAS. I am always sharing information on this new guitar and that new thingy-ma-bob and it drives her nuts. She just doesn't understand GAS. I have two guitars (both acoustic) and she just can't understand why I would want another, or an electric, or that PHAT amp, or why I pay extra money for my favorite strings(Elixir) when i can buy the Walmart generic type for a 1/3 of the cost. She is so lost. :D
when i told her Capo she was thinking about the mafia. When i said Korg tuner, she thought Borg from Star Trek. When I said my nut is broken, she called the doctor.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i come in and turn my amp up as loud as it goes, wife doesn't care, the only time
she b**ch's, is when the cops come, thats usually 2 or 3 times a month 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I got a new Taylor 900 series 12 string for my wife. Best trade I ever made.

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

I move that this thread be renamed to "Guitars and wives," the current title shows a lack of priorities.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I move that this thread be renamed to "Guitars and wives," the current title shows a lack of priorities.
If we're voting to amend the thread title, let's be gender-inclusive and call it "Guitars and spouses." :twisted:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

And as the plural of "mouse" is "mice," how come the plural of "spouse" isn't "spice?"

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Before we were married, I suspected my wife might not be too critical in the music department. All the signs were there: Frisbee caliber record collection, radio tuned to easy listening, coming see my band and never noticing those occasional stinker sets.

In the last 10 years, she's bought me four stringed instruments:

*Martin Backpacker: Is it a guitar? I dunno, but I can't sell or lose a gift

*DeArmond 5-sting bass: She actually walked into Sam Ash and asked for anything DeArmond, as they were clearing the brand. Salesguy: "We got something left -- but all I recall is that it's blue." Wife: "Sold!"

* One of Nick's cast-offs -- a Hohner GT-3 headless Steiny clone (way cool!). The exchange took place in a Tyson's Corner Mall, near Vidal Sasoon. The authorities were probably alerted, but buyer and seller escaped.

*Finally, the thing that confirmed my original suspicion that she really doesn't have a critical ear -- or maybe she's a closet masochist: a banjo!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I got a new Taylor 900 series 12 string for my wife. Best trade I ever made.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

no problems here :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well the current wife was an aspiring musician several years ago and wanted to do it fulltime with an all female band playing hardcore, things didn't work out and she got into radio instead.

She doesn't pick up the guitar much anymore, but then again she doesn't really support me that much either.

One is because I am content playing covers,not really into writing music much, even though I think I could write some decent lyrics, and the other is she thinks I'm a hack and I can't argue with that cuz I am.

I've only been married for a few months so I haven't made any large purchases of guitar equipment, but she has never been one to complain about that, she'd just tell me if I'm going to spend X dollars on guitar equipment then I need to spend the same amount on her..so that ends up costing me twice as much for everything.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4