Clear all

Wives and guitars

59 Posts
38 Users
0 Likes
11.4 K Views
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Like UCG's husband, mine is not musical, and so he is waaaay too easily impressed. :roll:

When I'm in my zone, I don't really want to be bothered by his questions ("Is that Smoke on the Water?" No, it's Beethoven's Fifth) or even compliments. I'm sure that makes me sound like a royal b----. :evil: But continual, uninformed, blatant flattery is worse than saying nothing at all.

On the other hand, I get grief for any purchases made. :?

The kids just ignore my playing, but they don't have a very long tolerance, then it's "MOM!! HEADPHONES!!!"

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

("Is that Smoke on the Water?" No, it's Beethoven's Fifth)

LOL! Sorry, thats too funny

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

My wife always tells me how good I am and how much I've improved, she also buys me strings and music books for birthday and Xmas.

Our cat doesn't mind me playing the acoustic but as soon as the amp gets switched on she runs for cover, baby son has no choice he's not old enough to run yet (or tell me to be quiet for that matter) he just sits there in his bouncey chair making faces :? and has to put up with the strange noises his dad makes. Hopefully I'll have to start saving for a guitar for him in another few years.

Stevie

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

The trouble with our relationship is that we have different likes when it comes to musical styles.
I love the blues, anything from B.B.King to Buddy Guy and Eric Clapton, John Mayall to name but a few.
I took her to the latest Clapton tour last year, whereapon hearing Robert Cray playing and singing (support band) she comes out with "That guy needs to cheer up a bit and chill out".

"What ?" I said, "The mans a legend ! enjoy the music listen to the tone of his guitar,, feel the music".
"Its not like Hot house Flowers is it", she retorts.

She seems to think that every blues artists dog died the same day his wife left him.

I will listen to anything and I love pop as well as everything else but the blues do something more for me, its not what they play, its the way they play it. You only have to listen to B.B. to realise that.

As for when I'm playing I know when I'm playing something she doesn't like as the living room door slams and when its something she's enjoying she says "Is that you playing ?" :lol:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

I guess I'm just lucky. The only time I ever have to hear about a guitar purchase is when she's mad because she'll have to wait for her bass purchase.

I did meet a guy recently who is recently divorced because his wife tried to make him choose between his 30 or so guitars and her.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I'm pretty much banished to playing in the cellar, once in a while the wife will ask me to play some John Denver song for her. She complains if more than one guitar is left in sight, but she's never stopped me from buying another one.

Eric

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

:cry: My wife bought me a really nice pair of headphones...to plug into my amp....

Music is the universal language.

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

:cry: My wife bought me a really nice pair of headphones...to plug into my amp....

Sorry, but...LOL :lol:

My wife complains that I send to much time practicing, that I need to sit and watch American Idol with her. I humor her every so often, but I find myself much more interested in spending time with my Taylor than with Simon.

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

My wife complains that I send to much time practicing, that I need to sit and watch American Idol with her.
Yours and mine! It's a bit of a drive, but maybe we could get them together in front of the TV while we go jam ...

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I like American Idol, but Dancing With The Stars is better. The scenery, especially. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I like American Idol, but Dancing With The Stars is better. The scenery, especially. :D

sigh... and i had soooo much respect for you... :shock:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

When you're over on PBS sometime, check the schedule for America's Ballroom Challenge. That's the pro dancers' competition. Wild stuff!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

My wife complains that I send to much time practicing, that I need to sit and watch American Idol with her.
Yours and mine! It's a bit of a drive, but maybe we could get them together in front of the TV while we go jam ...

Not a bad idea...and I see your in VA....maybe the drive would be worth it.....

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

The kids just ignore my playing, but they don't have a very long tolerance, then it's "MOM!! HEADPHONES!!!"

Margaret

Sounds like my 4-year-old. "Too loud, Daddy. Put your headphones on!".

Music is the universal language.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4