Clear all

Worst amp ad ever

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Last week I posted an ad for the JC-120 amp that I thought (from a salesman's point of view) was excellent. Now here is one that is not so great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG8nROD6Vtc

Not putting Randall down (great amps) or Kirk Hammett (great player). But sheesh, if you're gonna post an advertisement for your amp and have a great player like Kirk Hammett endorse it, he probably should at least know the name. Check out the video at 0:20 seconds, Kirk pauses and has to look down at the amp to tell us the name. He even nervously taps his fingers on the amp. Now maybe I'm am being too critical of this ad, but do they really expect me to believe he actually uses this amp?

This is not a rant or anything like that. I am sure that is an awesome amp. The point I guess I was trying to make is that lots of kids (and adults too) run out and buy guitars, pedals, amps... like this because an ad tells them it is the gear their guitar hero uses.

So, have you ever bought gear because you thought is was the gear one of your favorite players used? Was it as good as you hoped?

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

So, have you ever bought gear because you thought is was the gear one of your favorite players used? Was it as good as you hoped?

Kind of. Once. Much cheaper. MIM Tele that I modded by adding a split-rail HB in the neck. Actually sounds pretty decent, especially through the Fender BD. Am thinking about getting a EMG David Gilmour pick gaurd some day, but I need to improve some skills to put it to any good use.

As far as the ad goes, he was un-nerved IMHO. He didn't even look at ease playing for the (faux?) photo shoot.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Esteban he aint. :lol: Seriously though, Esteban can get you excited about a POS and Kirk Hammet makes this new amp seem boring. Maybe he just doesn't have the gift of gab?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

The whole thing kind of reminds me of Spinal Tap

"As you can see the numbers all go to 11"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akaD9v460yI

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Nope, never did that.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

the guy who put that ad together is more than likely looking for another job now.
it made kirk look like a moron, hung over, or drugged out (imo), and did nothing to inspire anyone to want this amp.
perception is everything in marketing.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

it made kirk look like a moron, hung over, or drugged out (imo),

I think you need a miracle to make him look like anything else then that...

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

I did get a Jaguar because Kurt Cobain plays them and am very happy. I won't buy anything based on that again though. It's hard to play anything other than Nirvana songs with it. It is capable of playing other things but it's hard to break out of that trap. It's the reason I haven't bought Dan Donegan's signature pedal because I'd be stuck using it just to play Disturbed songs.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote