Clear all

Worst Cover Song

59 Posts
28 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Just heard a tune on my MP3 player that makes me CRINGE everytime I hear it, so I thought I'd start this thread. Most of you will probably diasgree with me song, so I'll wait to tell you which one it is!!!

So, what cover song makes YOU cringe? There are quite a few out there, and sometimes you have to wonder what made the artist think that THEIR version would hold a candle to the original. What do you think?

ok - my song is "Hound Dog" by Jeff Beck. I think Beck is a great guitarist, but I don't get why you would re-make this song (or any song by Elvis). It is SOOOO iconic that whatever you do it just won't get past the comparison with the Elvis version. I realize that Elvis probably re-made the song from an older version (I think he did) but the fact remains that the song is ELVIS. I hear Beck's version and I wonder... why????

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Hey, I like it. No cringe here.
Jeff Beck's "Hound Dog"
I don't think of it as competing with Elvis . . . .
just bringing back a great song to a generation(s) that might not have heard it.
Good for JB.

As far as worst cover? Me trying to play "Dust in the Wind"

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Seems like a soundtrack version to me -- fairly innocuous behind video. Wouldn't put it in my audio collection, but it ain't killing me either. Clearly a YMMV situation.

As for worst covers: Anything that sounds exactly like the original and appears in a collection by an established artist seems a total waste. Want to see some personal interpretation if an artist is going to bother to cover a tune. Goes for tribute collections as well.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Anything by me........................... :oops: :oops: :oops:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I hear Beck's version and I wonder... why????

Probably because Jeff always loved Elvis's version, grew up listening to it, played it a lot when he was starting out, then decided one day, "hey I think I'll record my version of that...."

As for worst cover - well, I love the Stones and Dylan, so you'd think I'd be in rock'n'roll heaven with a version of "Like A Rolling Stone" done BY the Rolling Stones, right?......somehow, it just doesn't work for me - possibly due to the headache I get every time I watch this video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuGjBNSRi1c

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

There's a few cover songs that I can't stand. The first two that come to mind are, oddly enough, the same song AND the two offending bands have the word "cult" in their name. Both The Cult and Blue Oyster Cult did crappy versions of "Born to be Wild."
Joan Jett butchered Hendrix's "Up From the Skies" on her cover album The Hit List.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

As for worst covers: Anything that sounds exactly like the original and appears in a collection by an established artist seems a total waste. Want to see some personal interpretation if an artist is going to bother to cover a tune. Goes for tribute collections as well.

This is it in a nutshell for me. A few of the worst: things like Michael Bolton's Grapevine or Phil Collins' numerous raids on the Motown catalogue...slavish stylistically and substandard musically.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member

The first two that come to mind are Lenny Kravitz's version of 'American Woman' and Shinedown's cover of 'Simple Man.' They both have me reaching for the radio dial faster than an emergency broadcast signal test.

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Without question, Motley Crue doing Anarchy in the UK.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Without question, Motley Crue doing Anarchy in the UK.

I thought of that one too after I posted. Their version of Helter Skelter gets a dishonorable mention as well.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Hmmm, I couldn't think of a cover that kills me. What came to mind was Dread Zeppelin and Hay Seed. I think they are brilliant! But I can only listen to 1 or 2 songs before I grow tired of it.

Now that my brain is working...I have a version of Frank Zappa doing Stairway To Heaven. As a Zappa fan, I understand what he was trying to accomplish but...it sucks. SO yes, that one kills me.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I like Lenny Kravitz, but his cover of American Woman by The Guess Who didn't even come close.

The original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1x6NNNfVJc&feature=related

Lenny's cover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-1LQfiUdgM

He did a great job really, but where is the solo? This song has to have great guitar solos. :twisted:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

While not the worst, I've never felt the love for Yes's cover of Simon & Garfunkle's America. Maybe it seemed like a good idea at the time.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I got none that kill me right now, that I can think of anyhow. I like most of the ones listed here so far that I've heard before and will probably search some out that I hadn't. I generally like covers. I've got quite a few odd ones on my playlist, like Sonic Youth doing The Carpenters' Superstar or a few Letters To Cleo things. But, I'm quite eclectic with my musical tastes.

Except for Cher's "Love After Life" or whatever that damned song is. I know, it's not a cover, but it totally drives me nuts. Had to be mentioned. :lol: I apoligize to the Dali and promise to behave for the next poll he starts.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Guitarhack, I like the Shinedown version of Simple Man, they guitar parts aren't the same they did a more acoustic version but I think the singing is much better

Roy - Letters to Cleo I used to be into them. They played a club in CT where I worked in the mid-90's and I like dhteir show and got some free stuff from there swag guy ..teeshirts etc. I ended up meeting the cousin of a couple of them through work I think they are from NJ or Mass not sure which

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4