Notifications
Clear all

Worst guitar solos ever?

55 Posts
29 Users
0 Likes
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I find any solo that lasts longer than a minute bad. This is only one listener's opinion and will probably bring up the question: "One Winged Grungesunset Angel, if you don't like guitar solos why are you a guitarist?" but hear me out.

+1 from a guy that often gets called upon to play improvised solos: most songs don't need solos, and sometimes I will even refuse to play one for that very reason. soloing seems to be integral to some styles of music - e.g., fusion (frequently a yawn). solos often are self-indulgent and boring, and some clearly border on being parlor tricks. yes, there are exceptional and great solos that help make some songs great (we don't really need a list, please). but most? nope.

and whoever came up with the term "lead guitar" should have his/her tapping fingers whacked with a ruler.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Cover of the Rolling Stone - Dr. Hook . Although I know it was done in humor , it qualifies as the worst I've heard on a song that was a certified hit .

... but totally apropos to the concept of the song. it's comedy, and it works.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

and whoever came up with the term "lead guitar" should have his/her tapping fingers whacked with a ruler.

Perhaps 1st guitar would be better. Like an orchestra, 1st violin, 1st clarinet etc. Typically gets the melodies. Usually more difficult, but not always.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I think it's undesirable for guitarists to think of themselves as subspecialized into "rhythm guitarists" and "lead guitarists." Far better to be able to trade off and do both.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

I think it's undesirable for guitarists to think of themselves as subspecialized into "rhythm guitarists" and "lead guitarists." Far better to be able to trade off and do both.

I agree. However, I think people have their strengths and weaknesses. Also, I think there could be an argument made that "lead" guitar and rhythm guitar require completely different skills. Although the physical skills are similar, sort of, the musical training is different. I personally think a good lead guitar player typically has a better understanding of music THEORY than your typical rhythm guitarist. However, a lot of great rhythm guitarists are really underrated technically.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Oh yeah, no argument about strengths and weaknesses, or personal preferences.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@enosmac1972)
Eminent Member

Whoever wrote that article shouldn't have been allowed to... they obviously are one of the WORST top 7 WRITERS! :lol:

Kurt Cobain? Bad? Whatever. Simplicity at it's finest.

The only thing this guy is judging is how fast a person shreds. I bet he has sexually fantasies about James Hetfield. If I didn't actually have to sign up to leave a comment there, I would have flamed him :mrgreen: But then, I guess everyone has their opinions....

Agile AL-3100 Cherry Sunburst Slim Neck (2008)
Dean Vendetta XM (2008)
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Line 6 TonePort UX1
Marshall MS-2 5W

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

Whoever wrote that article shouldn't have been allowed to... they obviously are one of the WORST top 7 WRITERS! :lol:

Kurt Cobain? Bad? Whatever. Simplicity at it's finest.

The only thing this guy is judging is how fast a person shreds. I bet he has sexually fantasies about James Hetfield. If I didn't actually have to sign up to leave a comment there, I would have flamed him :mrgreen: But then, I guess everyone has their opinions....

Kurt Cobain, although a good songwriter, was never really a great guitar player by any stretch of the imagination, although I know what you're saying about that solo, it fits the song. A lot of the ones on that list I don't 100% agree with.

Also, James Hetfield is an amazing rhythm guitarists, but never shreds. The only real solo he does on a regular basis is the one for Nothing Else Matters which is anything but shredding, just a great bluesy solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgiGrXpOhYg
4:50 in, although I'm sure you've heard it.

ReplyQuote
(@enosmac1972)
Eminent Member

My bad, I meant Kirk Hammett.

Anyway, this guys criteria for "good" is "speed", which is ridiculous.

But like I said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Give me a good blues improv solo played with quarter notes at 60 bpm with real feeling and it would be better than something churned out in 64th notes with no feeling any day of the week :D

Dean Vendetta XM (2008)
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Line 6 TonePort UX1
Marshall MS-2 5W

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

Give me a good blues improv solo played with quarter notes at 60 bpm with real feeling and it would be better than something churned out in 64th notes with no feeling any day of the week.

Anyway, this guys criteria for "good" is "speed", which is ridiculous.

Seems you are more the opposite, "slow" is "good." I find the slow solos equally self indulgent, if not more than the speed players. People often look on in awe as a guitarist plays the slow bluesy solo lost in the moment, eyes, closed head bobbed. To me, that's like eating a rich chocolate cake infront of me and not letting me have a bite. The speed players show off, but at least it's to the audience. It's more like saying "I bake the most amazing cakes! Have a taste!"

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@enosmac1972)
Eminent Member

Seems you are more the opposite, "slow" is "good."

Not really, I think the common denominator is "feeling". I like a good fast solo as much as the next guy, as long as it has feeling and just isn't some run up and down a scale. I guess I stand corrected a little bit, but to me super fast shred doesn't have the feeling sometimes.

People often look on in awe as a guitarist plays the slow bluesy solo lost in the moment, eyes, closed head bobbed. To me, that's like eating a rich chocolate cake infront of me and not letting me have a bite.

Ah, but they ARE sharing with you, and giving you a big taste too :)

The speed players show off, but at least it's to the audience. It's more like saying "I bake the most amazing cakes! Have a taste!"

Haha, never really thought of it like that, good analogy. Kinda like "microwaving" :)

Dean Vendetta XM (2008)
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Line 6 TonePort UX1
Marshall MS-2 5W

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

You have to like the type of music to "get" that kind of thing. If you don't like jazz, you won't like fast jazz runs, if you don't like blues, you won't like slow bluesy solos, and if you don't like metal you won't like shredding. Shredding gets a bad name, it's sort of like when people first heard mozart and said there were "too many notes" for it to be good. Or maybe that was just in the movie ;)

To be honest, only a few blues solos really get me as being "great" simply because it's just the same scale over and over.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

To be honest, only a few blues solos really get me as being "great" simply because it's just the same scale over and over.

Not with BB King.

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

Not with BB King.

That's why he's great.

ReplyQuote
(@bjourne)
Trusted Member

Any solo by Yngwie Malmsteen. Great guitar player but extremely boring listening to, imho.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4