Clear all

Worst offer for gear

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ok, after my recent GC trip I thought it would be fun to ask what was the worst offer any of you received from a store or individual who was trying to buy (or you were trying to sell) your gear?

A friend of mine bought a LEFTY Fender MIM strat and amp (gigbag, strap, etc) for her son. Ran her close to $500 brand new. He played it about 20 times and lost interest. She wanted to know what I thought she should do... I offered to sell it for her, but she wanted to see what GC would offer her (since they sold it in the first place). For the entire package they offered her $100. :shock:

I was able to sell the guitar and gigbag for $275 and the amp for another $50.

Any other horror stories out there?

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

I put an amp on Craigslist a while ago. The amp sells new for about $330. It was used but in great condition and less than a year old, so I asked for $200. I get an email from some guy asking a bunch of questions about it and offering me $75. I told him that I was asking $200 or best offer, but for him, I would let it go for $250.

I never heard back from him :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I tried to sale my Ibanez GRG over the weekend for $175 and the best offer I got was a $100 for it. I was going to even throw in a new set of D'Addario strings and a guitar stand at $150. I think I payed around $200-210 when I got it. :cry:

...But the worst offer for gear was a garage sale my friends had and I put my Squier 15 amp up for sale at $45. It does say Fender on the handle. :twisted: I was hoping to be half way to a Cube amp. Well some jerk tried to push only $10 for the amp so I kept it. I messed around with the amp on my Gibby V. Doesn't sound bad after years of hating it.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I haven't been on the wrong side of that deal, but I've been fortunate because of it. I often shop the used gear at GC and they can be haggled down usually. I got this CA COT, Carbon Fiber one piece acoustic for less than half retail:

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I often shop the used gear at GC and they can be haggled down usually.

How hard do the GC staff haggle? Did it take multiple trips to get that kind of deal? Did you have to deal with the store manager for that level of discount? Any advice?

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

How hard do the GC staff haggle? Did it take multiple trips to get that kind of deal? Did you have to deal with the store manager for that level of discount? Any advice?

I don't think I'm any kind of golden tongue haggler as I used to work retail so I still have a bit of a soft spot for sales people, but truthfully it's fading fast being on the other side of this coin.

I believe since I've made purchases there I've established a business friendship with them. It helps to deal with the same people so you get better known. Last night I walked in and the first thing out of the store managers mouth was, "hey, we don't want any trouble here." :lol:

I always get something off of any purchase I make there and really don't have to haggle that much. When I bought the Gretsch drums I got almost 10% off everything just for the volume of what I purchased. Now they know I expect that discount and they are very gracious. Even end up with at least a free pair of drum sticks with every purchase.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

ALWAYS, haggle!! If they think you are really going buy something, they will try to make you happy.

Earlier this year, I was at GC with an Epiphone LP in my hand ready to buy. I talked with the salesman for about 15 min. and I played the guitar for another 15 min. I told him that I'd buy it if he could make me a better deal and he took about $30 off the price. Well, I was happy enough, cause I was prepared to pay the original price.

Then I told him that my son really wanted the faded Gibson SG but, I wasn't going to pay $580 for the guitar. After another 15 min. or so, I had him down to $500!! Well, I couldn't pass that up! I see these USED on Craigslist for $500!!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

That's it exactly, you have to have the relationship and not be afraid to ask. The old store manager knew me by name as did most of the sales staff. They knew I'd pull out the credit card for an excellent deal and put it away if I didn't think it was. I always had the case included in the price, no questions....and I tried not to be a jerk and be fair. They have to turn some profit.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Thanks for the feedback on haggling at GC. I have no problems with haggling (haggled and got deals on my guitars, cars, etc.) but just about all of it was done at smaller shops (small local chains, sole proprietor, auto dealer, etc.). Haggling at GC seemed to me that it would be like haggling at Costco or Target. I haven't bought much at GC though other than picks, strings, and other odds and ends. I'll have to put them into consideration when I want bigger stuff now that I know you can successfully haggle there.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote