Clear all

Yngwie Malmsteen

92 Posts
31 Users
0 Likes
19.1 K Views
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

This thread (and the last one) frustrates me so much. Here's a little example that ran through my mind.

Let's think about the basic foundations of music. I imagine music was invented when some caveman or something banged some sticks together and liked the sound. So maybe soon, we had lots of cavemen banging sticks together and making righteous noise. Enjoying themselves too, I'm sure. I don't much imagine that people thought "wow, that guy bangs his sticks much faster and better than the other guys...he rocks!"

Let's skip a few hundred thousand years. I think the very core idea of music as a concept can be seen though the music of slaves. They used music to convey and cope with their oppression, and even used it to organize escapes. Some of those negro spirituals are pretty tricky. Anyways, that's the purpose of music, to reveal how you feel, to make some sounds and words that convey what's flying through your neurons. I remember my professor in African American Lit telling us about slaves around campfires playing primitive instruments. No one cared how well they could play those instruments.

I think once you lose sight of that and focus on what someone is doing with their fingers rather than the sound and the FEELING created as a result, then you're missing the point of music, simple as that.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

I once jammed with a (jazz) guitarist who could play rising force at 4 times the speed, hitting notes precisely and clearly. I told him to put his guitar away becuse nobody wants to hear that noise. He took it very personally, but then a wek later when we jammed he told me how he was learning to play slowly integrating it into his style, and thanked me for the advice, no matter how rude i put it.

the point is i would tell mike tyson hes a dirty fighter. I dont care how good you are, if someone has an opinion to share with you listen to it becasue odds are they're not the only ones who have that opinoin. Ya sure you may not be as good a player as them... but you might be better than their coach (creative faculty) you know what im saying?

I would tell yngwie that he doesnt play well not because of his technical ability, but because of his ability to create. I would worship him for technical ability... and as bad as he butchers the songs he can still perform very well. I saw g3 in october 03 and it was a specticle, hearing the good music, seeing the talent, and i learned alot from just seeing how each player stood while playing.

ya they may be good but if they have a weakness, expose it in the worst way, and they'll be inclined to fix it, or punch you in the mouth. in yngwie's case he would continue to play faster and gain absolutely no feeling. Hes too coky to fix anything.. but hey blatent arrogance welcomes blatent criticism. all just my opinion

ReplyQuote
(@racer-y)
Estimable Member

LOL Good Ol' Yngve...
He may not get any airplay, but look at this thread devoted to him!
If i didn't spell his name right again... oh well hmmm.....
That's probably the real reason he don't get airplay. He should change
his name to Mark, or Bill or heck even Juan....
Names that begin with Y.... I dunno something about them, almost always a hard sell. And yes, Yes is an exception.

But seriously, on the "jealousy" issue... Please as far as Guitar Gods go...
or anybody for that matter... their super talent is only a small part of their total personality and life... and sometimes that comes with a cost.

Heh, I wouldn't mind having equal bank accounts with some of these
guitar heroes, but that's about it.

Besides, is there enough $$$ to justify eating at Denny's day in and day out for months at a time?

LOL the only guitar player i'm really jealous of is.... dang it I forgot his
name... but he's... ok Inman, Les Inman?... the guy that posts here.
he is doing pretty much like what I would like to do as far as guitar
playing goes - so long as there's not too much Crap in a bag involved....
I like real food :)

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but when
you're a 22lb sledge, do you really have to be?

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Wes...

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Everyone has their own reasons for playing guitar.

At first I was only in for the partying, turned out I liked both...lol

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I came across this on another board... it may be apocryphal (I haven't been able to track down the interview), but it's still appropriate:

Andres Segovia: "If I was walking down the street and somebody stopped me saying 'I saw you on TV last night and man you play real fast', I would walk away disappointed. But if they said what I played really moved them and tapped into their emotions, I have succeeded as a musician"

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

Amen Noteboat, Amen

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@brazil66)

Personally I think his music sucks.

braz.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

"The name's Inman - Wes Inman - 009................. to 042" :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@user_of_the_sg)

the man definatly does not suck. i hate people who say he sucks cause thats not there favorite type of music. there was an interview with zakk wylde and he said that yngwie was very good and said how could anyone be any better

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Beauty is in the ear of the beholder.

If you aren't into hyperfast baroque licks, then you probably think he sucks.

If he floats your boat, good for you.

...and what if you aren't a fan of Zakk Wylde either?

Really, there is enough room for all of us.

I'm actually a lot more concerned about if I suck.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Since when is what Zakk Wylde likes the standard of what good music is?

His guitar looks cool. Thats all I like about him. Kidding, but seriously, Zakk Wylde isn't anyone special.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Funny, I just decided to listen to some Yngwie for the first time in months. As I sit hear and listen, he seems to do two things. He'll play slower and with more feeling, and he'll play his blazing fast riffs. He goes between softer music and music to rock out to. I'm not hearing the lack of feeling that I've heard a lot of people (including myself) complain about in the past. My only complaint is that he doesn't groove as often as he might, even though he's good at it.

ReplyQuote
(@oblio)

Regardless of his ego, etc.
you CANT say this guy isnt talented, I have the G3 Live cd , and his intro to VooDooo Child ROCKS

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Don't really know. If it is all about talent, then why are all the talented people in the world also the ones who practice most and work hardest? I think 'talent', whatever it means, can only be the foundation of whatever skill it concerns. The rest is build by non-stop working your butt of. The reason Malmsteen can play faster then me is not because he was lucky enough to be born with some magic talent but because he works far harder then I do.

Talent is a word constructed by lazy people sitting on their butt trying to find an excuse why others are better. Either start working or stop feeling bad about being lazy. :lol: :wink:

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 7