Clear all

You are falling into a deep sleep.....

34 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

You are totally relaxed. Concentrate on the light. Now, we're going to go back - we're going to dig deep into your childhood memories and see what we can dredge up.

So - what's the first song you can remember hearing? I can remember, as a little kid, hearing "Michael, Row the Boat Ashore" - a little research on Wikipedia, and I found out it was by the Highwaymen, way back in 1960. I was all of three at the time - but I can remember conversations with my mother, when she said, "You used to sit in front of the radio every time that came on and sing along with it, word perfect." I dunno about word perfect - I was all of three at the time! I also remember another record with a similar title, "Stranger on the Shore" by Acker Bilk from about the same time - again, a little research on Wiki, and the two records were indeed in the charts at the same time.

Fast forward a couple of years - suddenly, everybody's talking about this new group called the Beatles. I remember Beatlemania as if it were yesterday - but funnily enough, I can't remember hearing a Stones record on the radio, even though they were very much contemporary acts. The first Stones record I can remember is "The Last Time" - but a few years later, when radio 1 started doing an oldies chart every sunday, I had no trouble singing along to the Stones early hits. I remember groups like the Ivy League and the Barron Knights...I remember songs like "Tobacco Road" and "Anyone Who Had A Heart".....I remember listening to the charts every sunday night with my dad in the kitchen, that was a "family" moment I treasure - discussing the relative merits of each record. I remember a Van Morrison record a while back where he listed radio stations - "kalundborg - Hilversum - Luxembourg" - or something like that - that took me back to the days when I used to sit and stare at the huge dial on the radio and stare at those same names and wonder where they were.....I didn't dare touch that dial or play with it, the slightest infraction of that rule brought a smacked bum - and I had four potential bum-smackers, not only my mum and dad, but grandma and grandad too - the radio was sacrosanct!

I remember those TV programmes as well - 6.5 special, Oh Boy, Ready Steady Go! and Juke Box Jury. I just wish one of the parents or grandparents had realised back then just how much I loved music and bought me a guitar.....

And then I look at the music scene now - and as much as I moan about the current lack of talent, there are new bands breaking through. Then I look at VH1 - and there's a programme on about Hulk Hogan's family, or rockstar cribs, or cars - excuse me, where's the music? MTV and VH1 seem to have totally forgotten they're supposed to be MUSIC stations....

But I digress. Look into the light again - we're going back, way back. What IS the first song you can remember hearing?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Wow, this is hard to do.
The first song I really remember hearing is either Benny and the Jets or The Night Chicago Died. I remember hearing both of those a few times while riding in the car with my mom. I guess Benny and the Jets would be it because I think that was in 73 and the other one was done in 74. My mom had a tan 72 Plymouth Scamp and if she was driving it the radio was on. Whenever I hear that it reminds me of sunny summer days in the early 70's riding in her car.
I even remember asking her to turn it down a few times, haha. Well I got paid back on that one as I got older. :mrgreen:

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I even remember asking her to turn it down a few times, haha. Well I got paid back on that one as I got older.

CLASSIC!

:D :D :D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

That's an easy one. American Pie. I guess it was really popular right after my first set of ear surgeries and I could hear it. I can remember the street we were on and the Dodge that Dad was driving. I've been listening to music ever since then.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Yeah, this is pretty difficult!

I'm thinkin' that the first song that I can remember hearing was at my grandma's house....
I was sitting at the bottom of the stairs on the main level.... pretty sure I was three yrs old.

Tried hard to remember what song it was;
At first - The Night Chicago Died came to mind....?
No.... Thinking it was really - Billy, Don't be a Hero.

Wikied that song; Turns out that they were both by the same band: Paper Lace.
Also, it said that it was from 1974, which would've made me Four yrs old.

I remember WLS AM in Chicago played the same 12 top (Top 40) songs on a continuous rotation!
Billy didn't need to be a hero.... he got played to death!!!! :twisted:

As an interesting side note: "On August 23, 1989, just before 7:00pm local time, "Just You 'N' Me" was the last song played on WLS Chicago before switching to an all-talk format."

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well so far you lot are making me feel old - I was a teenager into T Rex and Bowie and Mott and Slade when those records came out....and probably into my first job....and almost up to the point of buying my first guitar....

OK, I'll crawl back into my cave and finish my Brontosaurus steak.....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Good topic Vic. For an even deeper sleep, try my memories... :wink:

I'm not actually sure that radio had been invented when I was a kid, so I expect my first memories would have been of a wandering minstrel playing a lute, or sackbut or something like that… :roll:

I don't really remember the radio being much in evidence as a young child, except maybe for the occasional news bulletin. I was brought up on a farm, so we spent much of our time outside. And then I was sent away to boarding school for 11 years, and having your own radio was off the agenda - mostly because it would have been a hefty thing with valves in, at least until “trannies” came in. In those days that meant transistor radios rather than transvestites. I don't remember having my own transistor radio, or a transvestite for that matter…. deprived childhood I guess…

But we did have record players (initially wind-up, then electric) and my mother would play mostly classical LPs. One of the earliest non-classical records I remember in the house was called “Sandy the Grocer” on a ‘78'. It was more like a comic monologue than a song. Sandy Powell was it?? Rosemary Clooney (George's auntie) singing This Old House – I think we might have had have a copy of that. I expect I heard dance bands like Victor Sylvester, but mercifully I've blotted all that out. Probably a bit of Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby and the like too.

Yet I remember ‘Radio Luxemberg', and names like ‘John Peel', ‘Pete Murray' and ‘David Jacobs' just popped up from the primaeval brain ooze. So I must have been hearing other music somewhere, although that was later rather than early childhood. On the ‘cool' scale, Pete Murray and David Jacobs were somewhere around the Cliff Richard mark, but John Peel was a bit less of a BBC type. Bubble… bubble.. here comes another name…. Radio Caroline – in the early 60s(??) ‘pirate radio' broadcast from a ship anchored offshore. We thought that was pretty good stuff…

So, I can't think of too much as nipper, except nursery rhymes, and then a gap to the mid 50s and Bill Haley and ‘Rock around the Clock', Paul Anka and ‘Diana', Little Richard, Gene Vincent, Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, Elvis, etc. And female singers like Helen Shapiro ("Britain's answer to Brenda Lee" :lol: ) Peggy Lee, and so on. Then on to Cliff and The Shadows, Telstar (who that? – Ventures?? Nope, Tornados ) Booker T and the M.G.s, his Bobness - Mr Dylan - Stones, Beatles, Kinks and onwards…

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Good topic Vic. For an even deeper sleep, try my memories...

Ooh, I feel a little younger now......

Funny thing. I remember a radiogram - one of those big long wooden things almost as long (and about as pretty!) as a coffin that had a radio AND a record player (High tech, eh!) and loads of space for records - LP's, 78's, whatever - in the front room. But I can never remember hearing it playing - I can see my dad taking a record out of a sleeve in my mind's eye, but I can't remember for the life of me ever hearing a record playing....I can remember it being piled fairly high with records - 33rpm albums - inside, even though I was forbidden under pain of death (or worse) to touch it.....but I can only remember hearing it working from about 1970 onwards, when I sort of claimed the front room and started buying records.....can't even remember the radio playing on it....

I think my hard drive's in need of rewiring......

vic

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Please don't quote prior posts unless a specific portion is relevant to your post. We don't need to read the same thing twice and creates unnecessary scrolling.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

This was actually pretty easy for me, my Dad is a huge Country fan and was always playing music on the radio or a little record player we owned. But the earliest song I remember is On the Wings of a Snow White Dove by Ferlin Husky.

Check out Ferlin's fancy guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeY4KE2d1Ck&feature=related

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Please don't quote prior posts unless a specific portion is relevant to your post. We don't need to read the same thing twice and creates unnecessary scrolling.

:lol: Don't mind :lol:

Well, I will mention the first english song I have distinct memories of hearing. And that must be 'Congratulations' or 'Summer Holiday' by Cliff Richard. My mom loved these songs and somehow I must have got em' on my ears...

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I can remember my mom putting on a John Denver record and playing the song "Rocky Mountain High" when I was little. There was also a lot of Elvis, Alabama, and Bob Seger.

I miss the good ol' days of MTV and VH1. Even VH1 Classic isn't good anymore.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Wow, no clue, Vic!
The radio or hi-fi played in my family's home from morning until night, so there's no one song I can remember as 'first'.
The first record I remember listening to was 'Johnny Appleseed'. It had vibrant yellow discs and came in a sort of 'box set' so that stands out; narration and singing by Dennis Day.
Cool topic.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Tried hard to remember what song it was;
At first - The Night Chicago Died came to mind....?
No.... Thinking it was really - Billy, Don't be a Hero.

I remember WLS AM in Chicago played the same 12 top (Top 40) songs on a continuous rotation!
Billy didn't need to be a hero.... he got played to death!!!! :twisted:

Hey, I used to listen to WLS AM on my little transistor radio when I was a kid growing up in Chicago in the early 70's! 8)

I also remember "Rockin' Robin" by the Jackson 5, and "Afternoon Delight" (don't remeber the group) being played alot as well.

My parents listened to country, and I remeber hearing "Rhinestone Cowboy" alot when I was a kid & hating it! :x Don't mind that song now though. :roll:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

"Afternoon Delight" (don't remeber the group)

Starland Vocal Band (he embarrassingly knows and blurts right out)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3