Notifications
Clear all

You are falling into a deep sleep.....

34 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you all seem so young to me now after reading about your first songs.
I am so old I can only guess.
my first was probably a drum solo. I would have remembered a ta dom ta dom ta dom.
like a beating heart?
next, I arrived in 1951. what was the big hit then?
my first song I knew the words to was probaly a playground song..."Sally Goes Round the Roses"??
my first record to play was my mom's Harry Belefonte...I liked Day-O an awful lot.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

I had an older borther and sister, and many older cousins. I can actually remember singing and knowing all the words to the Everly Brother's "Wake Up Little Susie" when I was so young I could hardly talk. The interesting thing is that when I hear an Everly Brothers song, even if I don't know it, it is familiar to me. I think they go back with me a very long way. When my mom was very sick, about 6 years ago, my father pulled out an old reel-to-reel tape of our family which was recorded when I was about 2 or 3 years old. I was learning to speak, but the reason why I am mentioning this is that my sister (who was 9 or 10 at the time was singing Elvis Presley "Hound Dog."

I have a very clear memory of listening to the radio with a cousin of mine in York, PA. This is before The Beatles. Franky Vali and the Four Seasons, The Beach Boys, The Righteous Brothers, Little Anthony and the Imperials, Elvis, ect. Great stuff.

But the song that actually turned my head and make me go "wow!" was "something new from the band" Steppenwolf: "Magic Carpet Ride."

(I just turned 50 last week, as if you couldn't guess.)

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Mama singing "Down In The Valley," rocking me to sleep in that creaky old rocking chair.

I did the same for my kids. :D

After a bit last night, I went downstairs and starting strumming and singing "Down In The Valley" (D and A7). It didn't take three verses for my wife to enter into a coma. It was priceless. She was deep asleep before I got to "...the Birmingham Jail..." Tipped right over where she was sitting like her head was weighed down by a ton of bricks. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

I think is Mike Jackson's Thriller, or Marvin Gaye or something

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3