Clear all

Young Scrybe, Just Who Is This Guy?

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Until a couple of weeks ago, I never heard of him. I saw a biker movie and one of his songs was on it. Cool enough. Scrybe mentioned him a bit, and saw he was into the Blues on Wiki. Sounded pretty good. Peeked around a bit and heard a couple of other things, so I bought the Best Of CD. Ewwwww!!!!!!!!

So, dig this transformation.

Here's a guy who looks like he's the only one Barry Manilow could ever beat up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26iubAguHu0 OK, so sappy little 70's AM tunes are a bit of a guilty pleasure. :oops: :oops:

And then I find this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-bCrwu2qCU OK, so he's singing an old Blues tune. Wait a sec. Is that.....can't be....it is! Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman???? Wow. OK, so it ended up being from Wyman's "solo" stuff, but cool enough.

And of course, the cool raspy song from the biker movie, including some decent slide work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UYrUeCH6u0

So, this chap goes from being a 70's softie, bubble gum guy with sweet hair and make up to someone who looks like, well, probably 100,000 miles in the saddle got the best of him. Just what are you people listening to over there? :lol: :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Great research!
Really funny and accurate descriptions.
What are some of your favorites on the CD?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The only two that stood out were the the first and third youtube links. There were a few that were OK, like Josephine, Lets Dance and I think it was Stainsby Girls was the other one. Some really soft stuff mostly, but bordering one too sappy for my tastes. In all fairness, I see the album was compiled in '93. Maybe some of his more recent stuff gets bluesier as Wiki suggests after another glance?

Oh, and I still gots 3 or 4 songs at the end to listen too. :oops:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@beaner)
Estimable Member

I haven't checked out the YouTube links (no access here at work), but you guys are talking about Chris Rea, right?

Regards,
Paul

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yup! That's the one.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@beaner)
Estimable Member

Okay. So the song with Bill and Charlie, is "Baby Please Don't Go"?. That's off the Willie and the Poor Boys album. Check that out too, that's a good album. I first heard Stainsby Girls about 20 years ago and was hooked on his sound. Although I confess to not owning any albums, just a couple of singles and some stuff on tape.

Regards,
Paul

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

OI!!!!! I think you mean not-so-young-anymore-but-still-young-enough-not-to-complain-about-bad-knees Scrybe. :roll: :lol:

ROFLMAO!!!!! I had no idea about that first tune until I clicked the link! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Although, if I'm horribly honest.................this tune, um, well, it uh, it fits my strange penchant for Elton John tunes and the like........yeah, I know, I'm a guitarist, damnit! A blues guitarist, damnit! But those sad songs sound sooooooo goooood *insert piano riff here*

Mayn, he's really changed over the years......now I know the answer to my perrenial question....just how doyou get to look like a ditinguished old bluesman? Get old, get distinguished, and get bluesy. :wink:

Road To Hell was the stuff my pops used to play in his car all the time. There's two albums, I'll give 'em listen tomorow and rcommend one or the other (or both). Off the top of my head I'm not sure which one I preferred when I listened to them last. He originally had the stuff on a copied cassette, so I'm not sure of exact dates or anything. I just assumed his entire oeuvre consisted of similarly bluesy stuff.

If it helps, the bluesy stuff I got into was definitely Road To Hell and maybe some other stuff. My pops used to play it in his car when I was about 5 or 6, so that'd be 1989-90. :oops: So something from around then and possibly onwards should be good bluesy listening.

And, given that RtH was (apparently) inspired by the canal/river in Middlesborough, in answer to your question I'd say there's something in the water mate.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Okay. So the song with Bill and Charlie, is "Baby Please Don't Go"?. That's off the Willie and the Poor Boys album. Check that out too, that's a good album. I first heard Stainsby Girls about 20 years ago and was hooked on his sound. Although I confess to not owning any albums, just a couple of singles and some stuff on tape.

Yes, that's the song.

He's got quite the range of sounds, come to find out.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Scrybe, you were born whilest I was getting my learn on in college. No, wait! Right after college. :oops: :cry: I'm old!!!!

I appreciate you giving those old tapes a listen. I'm going to check out some of his more recent stuff that's supposed to be when he decided to just do Blues.

Oh, and EJ is a classic! Nothing wrong with him. He did do one song on the album I got with him, btw.

Oh Beaner, I almost forgot. Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out too.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've delivered lots of babies who're older than Scrybe. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

"Baby, please come out. baby, pleazse come owt. Baby, please come out, I need to cut your umbilical ."

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Another Chris Rea song - this one has been on a couple of soundtracks, if I remember correctly

http://youtube.com/watch?v=THcbQyFtCqg

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

So you're the guy who puts them under the cabbage! :lol:

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote