Clear all

Your favourite rhythm player and why

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

It is only just dawning on me how great some rhythm guitar players are. I am ashamed to say that I used to have a misconception that rhythm guitarists only played rhythm because they couldn't do lead, but now I understand that rhythm guitar parts can demand as much if not more skill and musical theory as lead, and one should not be considered to be better than the other.

So I thought I would ask who your favourite rhythm players are and why.

Me, I quite like Steve craddocks work with ocean colour scene. He often changes his style of rhythm playing within a song, which really keeps me hooked on listening. I will try to find a link to highlight what I mean.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

John Lennon -- as he himself said, he knew how to drive a band. And what a band!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Keef. Once he gets into his stride and starts hitting those signature riffs, he could make a concrete statue of Oliver Cromwell dance with wild abandon!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

page's riffs/rhythm work stand up to anyone.

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

For me it will always be James Hetfield. I think he's really good.But I saw the recent Big 4 Concert and have to add Dave Mustaine to that list.
Mustaine to me seems to be allot more technically correct where James seems to feel the song and vibe more..

i'm waxing on here..trutfully i know nothing i just like the way it sounds when the guy plays :D

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I heard Page play rhythm on a blues compilation Cd. he is really good.
but my favorite rhythm player is ME. I love getting into the groove and hanging with it; makes for huge room for a lead player.
I learned how to play guitar when I best friend was a drummer. I think playing from the get go with him gave me good training as a rhythm player.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Saying who is the best is like saying who the "best" guitarist is. It's all subjective.

A few really good rhythm guitarists come to mind. People like Pete Townshend, as the only guitarist, he fulfills more than one role, but is still a superb rhythm guitarist.

What about a couple of guys that share the rhythm and lead sections of a well-known group called Status Quo? Francis Rossi and Rick Parfitt?

Then, there's the man who provided EC with rhythm guitar, Andy Fairweather-Low.

Oh, and let's not forget the man behind Hank Marvin - Bruce Welch, one of the most accomplished rhythm players around.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Oh, and let's not forget the man behind Hank Marvin - Bruce Welch, one of the most accomplished rhythm players around.

Just curious, Graham - is that why you bought a Burns guitar? I've seen a few old clips of the Shads (yeah, I love 'em too - got a greatest hits album AND still got a live album (on vinyl) from the mid-60's....) and on a few of them, they seem to be using matching (white, with dark tortoiseshell pickguards) Burns guitars.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I bought the Burn's because I've always liked their gear.

Their older guitars, like the Bison, were all hand made and all slightly different. They created the Tri-Sonic pickup, so beloved of Bryan May.

They were innovative and top quality. When I came to buy a guitar I was actually looking for a Jap Strat. The Burn's came up on EBay and I bought it. My only regret is that I couldn't afford the top end stuff. Their trem, whilst huge, is easily adjustable and stays in tune. Their Rez-O-Tubes impart an ever-so-slight colouration to the tone and their Rez-O-Matik pickups have always been a match for stock Strat gear. The quality of the build is custom-shop.

As far as I'm concerned they're very underrated. My Korean-built Marquee is as well built as my MIA Strat. Yes, there are differences in components, but nothing drastic. The pickups are as good as stock Strat pickups, but certainly not as hot as the Texas Specials in my Strat.

Perhaps, at the back of my mind there was a connection to the Shadows (it was, after all designed for them), but it was opportunity (and the greenburst /gold combination) that was the deciding factor.

Now, if Barry Gibson of Burn's has an Apache he no longer needs................................

(Odd note: the top man at Burn's is Barry Gibson and one of the top dogs on the technical side at Gibson is called Burns...)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member

For me it will always be James Hetfield. I think he's really good.But I saw the recent Big 4 Concert and have to add Dave Mustaine to that list.
Mustaine to me seems to be allot more technically correct where James seems to feel the song and vibe more..

Another vote for James Hetfield, his timing and skill is excellent...

:D

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Keith Richards....no one does the Berry thing like him & then there's his love affair with G tuning.

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

some real good suggestions here guys - thanks for the suggestions.

Greybeard, i understand what you mean when you say it would be impossible to name the best guitarist - that is why i used the term "favourite" rhythm player - for sure it would be impossible to pick a best player. :D

For the record, here is a video of steve craddock that i mentioned in the opening post - he is the only guitarist in the band, and doesnt really play anything many of you would see as technically difficult - but i cant fail to concentrate on what he is doing throughout the whole song - he looks like he is having an absolute ball! All of his work with this band seems to have the same effect for me - in a similar way to andy summers rhythm playing for the police.

my only criticism is with the sound engineer - he is probably a bit too loud on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCIMEXQEzOE

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

My favourite rhythm player is a guy named Steve.

He's always controlling the beat, always in the right place, when I screw up the entrace, he covers for me. :-) Great player, and a good guy.

It's interesting how often the "rhythm guitarist" is also the band leader. I play a mix of rhythm, lead, and bass. I probably enjoy rhythm guitar most at the moment, because A) it is the part where I stink the least, and B) I can sing while I do it.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote