Clear all

Your partner's musical taste....

28 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

So how do you and your wife/husband/BF/GF/partner get on, musically speaking? Do you like the same bands, or are you poles apart?

With me and Marilyn, it's kind of weird - there are bands and artists we both like, most of them real oldies like The Everlys, Elvis, The Four Seasons, Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, Eddie Cochran, Del Shannon.....60's music like the Shadows, Beatles, Stones, Who, Kinks, Hollies, Manfred Mann, Beach Boys, CCR.

But there are major differences - there's not one CD of hers I'd call real rock music. She hates Dylan and CCR, loathes Led Zep, about the only rock bands we agree on are the Who and Status Quo.

Her CD's are mostly what I'd call bland, wishy-washy music....Abba, Russell Watson, Neil Sedaka, a LOT of Bee Gees CDs (says she hates men with A - Beards and B - long hair, but she literally swoooooons over Barry Gibb....go figure!) and to top it all off, the blandest, most sickly sweet singer in history...Daniel O'Donnell. And she's still never got over the crush she had on Donny-somebody-or-other and the rest of his family. Kenny Rogers and Dolly are about the only two of her favourites I can live with - they're both (IMO) wonderful story-tellers.

My CDs are what she calls noise - when she does, I usually dig out "Rock'n'roll Ain't Noise Pollution" and play it loud. And if I'm listening to Dylan and she starts moaning, I usually find "The Times They Are A-Changing" and when it comes to the line, "Don't criticise what you can't understand," I'll make a point of singing it very loudly.....

When it comes to guitar, she likes my acoustic - hates loud distorted powerchords. There's actually a very funny story involving my acoustic guitar and the song "Three Steps To Heaven" which took place soon after we'd just met, but it involves naked people so I'll save it for my autobiography - it'd never pass the censor on here!

So how do you and your other half get on, musically? Are you in harmony or are you discordant?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I have such a wide range of eclectic tastes that it's hard for her to keep up with me . . . but generally she finds her fair share of bands that we end up listening too as well.

Our listening family music library has everything on it from various orchestral pieces from any period to chant to world fusion to heavy metal to rap to gypsy jazz to easy listening to Kenny G (I didn't buy that one . . . )

She has a few artists I can't stand, and I have a few that she can't stand, but by and large, we really like just about everything.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

My wife loves Yngie Malsteem (really!) ,ELO,Phil Collins, Deep Purple, some Yes and polish rock groups (she's Polish). Besides she's a huge Mozart .
She has 3 % of my entire CD collection, but ,alas, she's not interested in the other 97 % :)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Mine's into a lot of punk, grunge and alt-rock stuff. I'm into blues.

We both like a lot of different things, though.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

My wife and I like a lot of the same bands from the 70s and 80s. She likes a lot of pop music and some rap, which I can't learn to like. I have tried so that we can have that in common as well, but I just can't do it. I like a lot of the older country musicians, she does not. We both like Blues as well.

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

My wife and I like a lot of the same bands from the 70s and 80s. She likes a lot of pop music and some rap, which I can't learn to like. I have tried so that we can have that in common as well, but I just can't do it. I like a lot of the older country musicians, she does not. We both like Blues as well.

Jim-Bone

Rap seems to be one thing we never argue about - we both loathe it. Well actually there's another thing we agree on - we both utterly detest, loathe, hate, abhor, are averse to, abominate, are nauseated by, are repelled by, are offended by the creature masquerading as human that calls itself Michael jackson. There, I've said it.....so delete this post if you must, but it's only my point of view. And that's one that'll never ever change....and I promise never to bring it up again. Once is enough.

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

My wife's taste is definitely mellower than mine, but we are musically compatible. She'd never choose to listen to some of the harder rocking stuff I like but she enjoys it well enough. And I suppose I find some of her favorites a bit bland, but tolerable!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

We go along quite nice. We have plenty of common ground on big acts (Radiohead, Zappa, REM) and the cool part is that we both know plenty of bands the other never heared of. Been listening to some really nice German underground hip-hop, plus she brough the Stones back under my attention. :D

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Music is kinda of a touchy subject in my house. The wife had aspirations of making it as a hardcore guitarists for many years and her taste in music is much heavier than mine for the most part. Pantera, Korn etc. She4 wrote/played only original stuff and looks down on me because I play cover songs. Personally I'd much rather rock out to a true classic than jam to some crap I wrote but hey that's just me.

She did turn me on to one female artist Tori Amos who I have to say does have some really cool songs.

But she does not support or even comment on my guitar playing, I think she looks at it like it's a joke or something I don't know, so I don't ever really talk to her about it. She would never keep from playing or anything but she's pretty ambivalent to the whole thing and has never offered any suggestions or anything. I've asked her to jam with me or show me how to tap which she does quite well but she always declines.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Well actually there's another thing we agree on - we both utterly detest, loathe, hate, abhor, are averse to, abominate, are nauseated by, are repelled by, are offended by the creature masquerading as human that calls itself Michael jackson. There, I've said it.....so delete this post if you must, but it's only my point of view. And that's one that'll never ever change....and I promise never to bring it up again. Once is enough.

Vic

Plus one to that, Vic. My wife had liked MJ since the Jackson 5 days and in the early-to-mid 80's, and I would listen to him with her, but we are both revolted by what he has become.

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

To prevent myself from venting about my wife's musical "taste", I'll keep this short and sweet.
She listens to and enojys CRAP. I listen to everything else. :wink:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I own several shelves full of music CDs. I believe the last time my husband purchased any music it was still on vinyl and before I met him, which would put it pre-1981. :shock:

His family had a jukebox in their family room when he was a kid, so he does know a dozen or so 1970s songs word for word. :P

In the car he listens to a classic rock station, whereas I am all over the dial (including the classic rock station) depending on the day, the hour, the moment. 8)

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

So, there we were in a Wickford (Essex) bar playing gungggg-tsssssssh music and Kath said "What about music then, what do you like?" "Loud guitars," I said, and seeing that she didn't recoil in horror I really went for it. "Me too," she said once I'd rattled off a list "but I don't really know much about Rush." She turned out to be a metal freak with Kerrang! programmed in as a favourite TV station; likes Avril Lavigne, The Beatles, most of my CD collection and some of the more mellow types like David Gray. She likes my Classical Guitar playing too, and I often hear her humming stuff from my repertoire, which is a bit of a bonus.

Since then, we've been to see Lifehouse, Three Doors Down, Bootleg Beatles, Rush, Rod Stewart, Foo Fighters, Muse and Velvet Revolver, and we have tickets to see Rush again in September.

The bar we met in burned down last year and we never went back there anyway. We did move house a few weeks back and merged the CD collection.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

My husband is tone deaf so he really isn't into music the way I am at all. When we were dating he had some classic rock albums and even a few CD's that we would listen to together, so he had me fooled for awhile. We never go to concerts or anything like that together and, sadly, the man doesn't dance. He can also ride for hours in the car and not have the radio or a CD or anything on, which drives me absolutely crazy. It is then that he just has to endure whatever I chose to listen too. 8)
He has been very supportive of my guitar playing, though, so I really shouldn't complain.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

She likes smooth jazz -- kenny g 24/7 would work for her. I'd rather listen to nails on a caulkboard.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2