5. Morgan Lander
6. Jack White
7. Adam Jones
8. Jared Leto
9. Sully Erna
10. Noodles

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

That's the word I was looking for, alliteration, 11th grade english, it's all coming back to me now!

7th Grade English in the UK (11-12 year olds), along with correct use of the apostrophe.

Nice to see Noodles mentioned; not a *great* player IMO but well rated in the Rollmop Music lounge cos my eldest likes The Offspring.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

That's the word I was looking for, alliteration, 11th grade english, it's all coming back to me now!

7th Grade English in the UK (11-12 year olds), along with correct use of the apostrophe.

Did I use an apostrophe incorrectly in that sentence? I don't see any mistakes.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

Favorite guitarists... pretty standard and uninteresting list. No particular order except for Page!

Page
Hendrix
Slash
Neil Young
Elmore James
Robert Johnson
Bob Dylan
Santana
Mississippi John Hurt
Martin Barre

Did I use an apostrophe incorrectly in that sentence? I don't see any mistakes.

Oh america, depraved mother, what abuses have you inflicted upon your children? I think I learned alliteration, for the first time, somewhere in middle school grades 6-8 and I am american. Nexion was probably sleeping through all those literary terms with the rest of us americans! By the 100th time they hammer a concept, we finally start to remember. In my school, every year we got taught grammar because English teachers complained about our poor use of it. It never sank in completely. I still have no idea what a split-infinitive is - gonna go look it up. Did I use apostrophe correctly?

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Yeah! What he said. :lol:

Joe Bonamassa just made an entry into my top 10. Not sure who to drop out to make room for him. Can I have a top 11?

I'm sure tomorrow it will be different.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I'm surprised, I haven't seen any Angus Young fans?! :shock:

He's my regret for today.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Oh america, depraved mother, what abuses have you inflicted upon your children? I think I learned alliteration, for the first time, somewhere in middle school grades 6-8 and I am american. Nexion was probably sleeping through all those literary terms with the rest of us americans! By the 100th time they hammer a concept, we finally start to remember. In my school, every year we got taught grammar because English teachers complained about our poor use of it. It never sank in completely. I still have no idea what a split-infinitive is - gonna go look it up. Did I use apostrophe correctly?

No, I will assume full responsibilty for not learning much until my Junior and Senior years in high school.

I was the typical kid that couldn't see the big picture that knowledge is a good thing and hated school. I finally shaped up and love learning, but I still don't care too much for the intricacies of English. I love expanding my vocabulary and being able to voice my thoughts correctly and eloquently (in fact I think eloquent speach is becoming a dying art), and I believe grammar is important, but I could care less about all the complications, why focus on something so futile, be happy, do something fun! I am really into the arts, humanities, mythology, history, and psychology.

I use to see school as forced mind control and rediculous grading based on biased and inadequate judgement by people that don't possess the ability or right to do so.

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Frank Zappa~
"The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe "

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

1- jimmy page
2-steve vai
3-randy rhodes
4-david gilmoure
5-jeff beck
6-ritchie blackmore
7-ted nugent
8-slash
9-tony iommi
10-kurt hammett

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I use to see school as forced mind control and rediculous grading based on biased and inadequate judgement by people that don't possess the ability or right to do so.

Cool, why the change?
Because even though that is true in some aspects, I realized that I could still learn a great deal and just ignore what I knew to be wrong or biased.

I still don't believe in grading/judging/testing in schools.

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

No, I will assume full responsibilty for not learning much until my Junior and Senior years in high school.

I was the typical kid that couldn't see the big picture that knowledge is a good thing and hated school. I finally shaped up and love learning, but I still don't care too much for the intricacies of English. I love expanding my vocabulary and being able to voice my thoughts correctly and eloquently (in fact I think eloquent speach is becoming a dying art), and I believe grammar is important, but I could care less about all the complications, why focus on something so futile, be happy, do something fun! I am really into the arts, humanities, mythology, history, and psychology.

Why did you have to go the self responsibility route? Man, now I can't blame my lack of knowledge on somebody else! Alas, it is never too late to learn and being able to use speech effectively is very important in life. My calling america a depraved mother etc was my use of the term apostrophe.

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

I still don't believe in grading/judging/testing in schools.
I missed this the first time around. While I can mildly agree with your premise, and if I were still in school, I would probably agree whole-heartedly, but what is a realistic alternative that could gauge whether or not school children are learning. Would lack of grades make school kids work more or less? How would applying to college work? I am not saying you don't have answers to these questions. However, I am unfortunately utterly practical and while some ideas are fun to believe in, they don't work well in the real world. Sorry don't mean to hijack your topic to something rather dull - education.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I wrote that in a hurry and wanted to say something like, "But how else are you going to do it?" But I couldn't get the words right so I just left it how it is.

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5