Clear all

Youtube bowing to the "copyright police"

23 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Over the last month or so, I have seen more & more of my bookmarked youtube links being pulled because "it is a violation of our terms of service". Video after video of original artists are being removed. I hope someone stands up to the pressure soon; there won't be anything left.

What is left is many videos of "Me singing such & such". Well, not me specifically, but as you avid youtube fans know, every other video seems to be a cover by "me". "Me" sure uploads a lot of videos. :lol:

Anyway, it is sad times for sure. Probably half of my bookmarks have been removed, & I have a couple hundred saved that I like to view frequently. Even guitar instructors have had to remove their material... :evil:

(@almann1979)
Noble Member

it is a shame. in my opinion by putting film, music clips on you tube it is free advertisement and the filmakers will benefit.
as far as guitar lessons go, surely they are promoting the music of the artists they are copying??

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm not really sure where I stand on the whole issue. Most arguments do have valid points on either side, and I have enough to worry about without bothering myself with big-business fighting over stuff like that.

I did lose 8 the last time I looked, but I only had something like 55 on my playlist. My favorite was one of them. Four of the Almans doing accoustic Melissa on some TV talk show. Gregg, Betts, Wayne and the bass player at the time. (name is on tip of toungue, but can't remember it)

Edit: 5 minutes later, I find it again. Yay!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFJ20eNspzo&feature=related

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

it is a shame. in my opinion by putting film, music clips on you tube it is free advertisement and the filmakers will benefit.
as far as guitar lessons go, surely they are promoting the music of the artists they are copying?? Very valid points; Check out this link; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_EFdod4YDo

In the comments to the right of the video, there are links to actually purchase the DVD that this video is a part of. Nice touch!
I'm not really sure where I stand on the whole issue. Most arguments do have valid points on either side, and I have enough to worry about without bothering myself with big-business fighting over stuff like that. I am like that too; I have enough going on in my life w/o getting involved in big business squabbles! :mrgreen: HOWEVER; (you knew there would be a however!) :lol:

To me, youtube is basically like "on-demand" music video channels. Type in whatever you desire, & (hopefully) it will pop up!

As opposed to my Sat. TV, when I have to sit thru mindless hours of stuff until I see something I actually want to view. Plus, you are able to record basically anything off the idiot box using the DVR/VCR/PC Hook-up/whatever. (legally? I don't know...)

I feel that after all the dust settles & all the arguments are over, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

When an artist gets their name out there, they only stand to sell more records/merch. Another great point is that some of this great material could possibly be lost forever, if it were not kept alive via. the 'net.

Do you all remember this one by Benny Bell/circa 1948?!? My 15 yr. old son had never seen/heard it before, & he loved it! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rpq6u8hYgk

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

That's funny. I never heard that one before.

Yes, YouTube is quite the addicting place. Where else can you find footage of a nice Aria and then watch a drunk get tasered?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Probably half of my bookmarks have been removed, & I have a couple hundred saved that I like to view frequently. Even guitar instructors have had to remove their material... :evil:

How I solve this problem:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

It may be free advertisement but it's still up to the filmmaker to decide that. Maybe an old-fashioned way of thinking but if I'd really care that much about a specific clip I'd just buy it.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Where?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

imo the copyright laws need to be completely rewritten to bring them up to date with todays/tomorrows tech.

i guess i've been a pirate since i got my first mono cassette deck. we used to borrow(share) vinyl, and record songs to try and learn them in the early 70s'

now 30+ year old and older music is being ressurected by youtube.
both original and cover artists are bringing a lot of this great music back from the dustbins of obscurity to an audience that would never have been exposed to it.
this in turn creates word of mouth, which leads to more sales of multiple formats. (dvds,cds,sheet music,books,etc)

instead the hounds are loosed on the very vehicle that is providing the exposure they wouldn't otherwise have. :roll:
sharing these gems on youtube, or reguardless of the method sells more in the long run. IMO

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

imo the copyright laws need to be completely rewritten to bring them up to date with todays/tomorrows tech.
Agree. They're insane.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

It's the same argument artists/labels had with guitar hero/rock band when those games were first introduced. They thought it would negatively impact sales, or that people would pirate songs from the game (which has been done), but obviously (to me anyway) the exact opposite happened. Guitar hero/rock band took some underground/less known and older bands music and made the record sales skyrocket.

Ultimately it should be up to the artist/label how their music is distributed, as long as it doesn't impose unfair restrictions on people who buy it, but I think statistics have proven time and time again that artists benefit when their music is released in as many formats as possible.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

It's the same argument artists/labels had with guitar hero/rock band when those games were first introduced. They thought it would negatively impact sales, or that people would pirate songs from the game (which has been done), but obviously (to me anyway) the exact opposite happened. Guitar hero/rock band took some underground/less known and older bands music and made the record sales skyrocket.
And also created other new sources of income for the artists

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I do not even dare to speak of past experiences. One in particular will haunt me forever, and I was just some poor shmuck who "owned" some data for a small e-retail site who only had his job to lose, and that's when jobs were more plentiful and higher paying than the one I had. (different medium...not music)

I do, though, believe in the spirit of the law. People should get paid for their work. Yes, I've been guilty of the seemingly victimless crimes that Twisted Lefty spoke of. I don't know how many times I recorded stuff from the radio to a cassette tape way, way, way back in the day. I can't excuse that. But, I have spent a ton of money in my life on CDs, albums, etc.

Paul, David, Nick, etc, may <insert your choice of deity> bless you (if you so chose to be) for sticking your necks out for this wonderful site.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Where?

10-4 on that one, good buddy. (or has burt copyrighted that phrase)

If not for you-tube, I would not be able to watch Keith Richards and x-pensive winos. I tried to buy the DVD. Alas, out of print when I looked for it. Just one example of many.

Heck, I remember when Monty Python's Holy Grail movie was out of print. None of the newer video stores ever had it, the smaller stores never heard of it or were gone. That's a whole other issue though. :oops:

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

i guess i've been a pirate since i got my first mono cassette deck. we used to borrow(share) vinyl, and record songs to try and learn them in the early 70s'
Guilty as charged. I can also remember in the 70's, our local rock stations used to play full length albums at 11:00 pm, no interruptions. The DJ would announce to the listeners all night long; "get your recorders ready", & then right before the album it was "start your recorders". Was that wrong?!? :shock:

Several local stations here in S.E. Penna. used to do that. I was pretty young at the time, I don't remember if there was ever any backlash to that or not. In addition to music, there is also so much spoken word material/news clips/radio airchecks/other that if it we not for being freely traded on the internet would be lost forever.

To put it in Herbert Morrison's words; "Oh, the humanity!"
imo the copyright laws need to be completely rewritten to bring them up to date with todays/tomorrows tech. This is very true, but when congress works on that, can you imagine what the laws will look like afterwards? Those jokers do their best work when they are on vacation; Spending our $$$!!! :evil:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2