(@johnn)
Topic starter  

Drop 2 Concept For Guitar by Charles Chapman
The book teaches a method for playing melodies and harmonies

Has anyone used this book?
I'd be interested in how easy this is to learn and how effective it is
in general?
I can play chords and scales across the fretboard.. I've been playing
for about 6 months. I'm wondering if this book is beyond me or not.

from one reviewer on Amazon:

"Many of you will most probably be wondering what on earth is a Drop-2 concept. Well it is an arranging term for describing the order of notes within a chord. You see that when we get the same notes played in different orders the chords sound different. I must admit that this book has an amusing title, which could throw you off as soon as you see it, but read on.

Many guitarists never seem to get past the bar chord stage in their musical endeavours because they don't know what to do next. The Drop-2 Concept for Guitar will open up a whole new world of guitar chord playing that you most probably never thought possible. The advanced or professional player will also get a lot out of it as well, especially in harmonic awareness and chord melody execution.

The chord forms contained in this book are ones that you are hearing all the time in modern music, but most probably didn�t realise it. I am hearing them all the time in jazz, funk, rock, blues, country, and all types of fusionistic music. I can tell you the top players are using these voicings all the time to give them that musical edge over others.

Charles has put together a great lesson plan in this book and he walks you through it well. First he describes what basic harmony is, and then goes on to tell you about what is the Drop-2 Concept. He then gives you step by step lessons in all keys so you can get this concept internalised into your memory and fingers. To finish there are song examples on how to use the lesson material in a comping and chord melody style. Depending on your abilities, it could keep you very busy for a long time. There are most probably about $1000 worth of private lessons here.

Many guitarists have made careers out of playing this type of guitar and if you do to I guarantee your phone won�t stop ringing. If you are a graduate of the Modern Method for Guitar� by William Leavitt or you have an advanced knowledge of chords you shouldn't have to much trouble clicking to this book. If you are a teacher this book should augment what you are doing with students and give you lots of new ideas to work from.

Overall this is a great book, which will expand your abilities in note recognition, harmony, comping, chord melody, and overall technique. Charles has also put in some great tips for other areas of your playing, like the best areas on the guitar to sight read, comping over ballads, and arranging your own songs. It will definitely take you up to the next rung on the musical ladder. So if you want to begin sounding like a real pro rather than an amateur you had better take a look at this book.

Kevin Downing
Professional Guitarist, teacher, author.