Clear all

Hal Leonard books

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@curly)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I havent been playing for quite some time and im trying to get back into it. at this point im pretty much starting over except for the basics...my question is regarding the Hal Leonard books of sheet music which i have a few of.. the books have suggested strumming patterns listed and the ones ive tried dont seem to sound right to me.. my question is if anyone else has noticed this or if its just me( maybe my tempo or approach might be off some)?

I hope this is the right place to ask this if not please feel free to move this post..

Thanks

Guitar is easier to say than saxamaphone.. Doh!!

(@davidhodge)

What exactly do you mean when you say they "don't sound right?" If these are the books I'm thinking of, they have a page full of suggested strumming patterns, and fingerstyle patterns as well, denoted by number at the beginning of the book. The songs will then list a "suggested strum - 1" or something like that, right?

These are all generic patterns, not the ones from the actual recordings of the songs themselves. Just something to play along with. More often than not, they are very basic, simply to make things relatively easier for beginners who just want to strum the songs and sing along with the guitar.

For accurate strumming patterns, your best bet is to get books that are "transcriptions from the record" or "note for note transcriptions."

But having said that, I'll add that there are literally hundreds of ways to strum any song. Unless your goal is to sound one hundred percent like the original recording, you can use these patterns in the Hal Leonard books as a starting place and then adapt them to your own style. We've been running a series of Guitar Noise Podcasts (just click on the icon on the banner at the top of the page) specifically about developing your talents as a strumming guitarist. You might find these very useful.

Not to mention any number of the lessons on our "Easy Songs for Beginners" page (again, link at the banner on the top of the page).

Hope this helps and welcome back to the guitar! Hope you find it a lot of fun.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@curly)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

David i want to thank you for the quick reply.. your answer helped alot.. i thought that the patterns might be just a generic guide but thought id ask to be sure. Again thanks alot

Guitar is easier to say than saxamaphone.. Doh!!

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Sometimes I have downloaded various strumming mp3s of David just to enjoy them listening.

I especially like the Harvest Moon.

Oh and yea, they are great learning tools !

ReplyQuote