6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

Does anybody have any book of this Hal Leonard serie? I'd like to read some comments from more experienced players on the level required to use them, the transcriptions and if they could be used as 'instruction' books (I mean, the books doesn't include just the partiture, there are also some explanations).

Currently I am interested on the Clapton's Unplugged and Knopfler's Guitar Style but I'd like to play some blues, jazz or classic rock in the future, thus, all the comments are welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Finally I ordered the Clapton's Unplugged. It will arrive the next month. Then I will perform a quick review.

ReplyQuote
(@rmorash)
Estimable Member

I ordered the Clapton's Unplugged

Nuno:

Until your book arrives, you might want to check out the URL below as it has an interpretation of the songs on Eric Clapton's Unplugged Album

http://12bar.de/unplugged.php

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks! :D

BTW, great site! One of my favorites on blues and EC.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Today I received the book. It is not usual but I was waiting around 45 days for the book... Amazon, the postal service or both... For European people I'd recommend The Book Depository. Recently I ordered two books (MBYCU and BYCU Chords) and I received them in 7 days.

I only read the intro and browsed the songs. As I already read in the reviews, it is not a 'conventional' partiture book. Probably the songs aren't complete, I mean, the author gives his interpretation to each part (intro, verses, bridge, solos, outro). I didn't follow each part with the original CD song but I guess you can rebuild the song from its parts. It's funny and a good way to divide the songs for an easier understanding and practicing. Perhaps we could compare to some David Hodge's lessons in the lessons zone. Personally I prefer this method against the traditional partiture because you can learn more than simply the song.

Each song also includes a brief description of the progressions, chords, scales, etc. and also the history behind the song and who is the composer (if he isn't Clapton). When the song requires it, all the guitars are shown (Clapton and Fairweather-Law). So you can find the double of fun.

The CD contains more than 50 tracks. Almost each song has one or more tracks to normal speed and one or more tracks to slow speed. The normal speed tracks include the band and they are stereo: the left channel is for the band and the right channel the main guitar. (Several instruction books use this method.)

I found that the transcriptions are more accurate than the ones I knew from internet. It isn't new.

At least 2 songs are in Open G tuning. It is a great notice for me because I never played in that tuning (I never played in a different tuning to the standard).

Some songs are easy as for example San Francisco Bay Blues and others are not so easy.

To me, as Clapton fan, it contains several months of fun so it is fine!

My acoustic will be also happy because now I'll play more.

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

... For European people I'd recommend The Book Depository. Recently I ordered two books (MBYCU and BYCU Chords) and I received them in 7 days.

Not just for European people ... I buy all my books from there and they are usually about half the price I pay in Australia plus you get the free air express mailing. Not only that but I've bought quite a few new out-of-print guitar, music and blues history books which were just not available anywhere else (well, at reasonable cost anyway).

You have to wonder what's going when an Australian 'how-to-play-guitar' book costs $45 plus $5 postage in Australia when you can get it from TBD for $30 including the free airmail postage.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote