Clear all

have any of you seen or used the esteban video's

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@slickschoppers)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

as some of you know from my other post.. I have an esteban acoustic/electric guitar and a carvin C980T that I got a SMOKIN deal on.

I have chosen to go with the carvin... once I started learning it was a no brainer, and all of your advice assured me that I was going down the right path using the carvin and "storing" the esteban for now.

But I have a 6 DVD collection of the esteban package and have been going through it since I got the first guitar. MY FINGERS ARE FINALLY NOT KILLING ME... I LOVE CALLOUSES!!!! So my question is, he starts with why steel strings and not nylon, followed by poper position for sitting, proper position for right and left hands, then he has you do the chromatic scale, which I 'm not great at but it's getting better, then the first "song" which is just a part of it he teaches you is malegania (spelling?)... you use a E major and A minor. I got the part he teaches you down to the point it sounds like music and not noise, then he moves onto the beginning of greensleeves, E major, A minor and Modified G.

he hasn't mentioned any other scales ect.... just the chromatic scales and then into these parts of the songs.

is there anything else that I should be doing?

I am looking for a REAL LIVE PERSON to buy classes from but I have'nt found one yet.

the problem that I'm having with stuff off of the internet is that I can somewhat understand the chord charts, but not always which finger goes where. I am assuming that I should learn my finger placement correct from the start and not just guess.

On a side note my wife is going to kill me eventually, I practice as much as I can a day which is a couple of hours at least. I'm 33 years old and found that I just LOVE playing (ok plucking and making noise) on the guitar.

anyway, do any of you have any opinions about the esteban DVD's?

(@mahal)
Estimable Member

:D Like you when I started I bought an Ibanez AEG10. My girlfriend at the time wanting to suprise me bought the old Esteban package.

I did get some use out of the single volume VHS tape, along with a computer program it was the video instruction I had. And for a few months I got use oout of the guitar strap. Unlke my Ibanez I could not get the Esteban to stay in tune and it hurt more to play. The Esteban now stays at my parents house. If I drop by while they are not home I might play around with it

ReplyQuote
(@fingerbanger)
Eminent Member

Who's this Esteban fellow? I've been hearing alot about him lately. Is he any good? I've seen his horse on TV. ( the one that twisted has a picture of ). I hope he can at least play as good as his horse!

Let that boy boogie woogie, cuz' it in em' and it got to come out. -John Lee Hooker-
There is no substitute for experience. So get out there and break some strings on stage. -F.B.-

ReplyQuote
(@mahal)
Estimable Member

Who's this Esteban fellow? I've been hearing alot about him lately. Is he any good? I've seen his horse on TV. ( the one that twisted has a picture of ). I hope he can at least play as good as his horse!
:)
He was a nuevoflamingo artist who was disabled in an auto accident. However he seems to be a nice guy and master salesman. His infomercials have convinced many to buy an overpriced guitar with the so many easy payments come on.

Sounds pretty good on the mini concert added to the end of the VHS tape. There are better teachers, but then again there are worse. The question, is he good for getting people to start playing who would not have because of the seriousness of music stores and the upfront cost of a $200 starter pack? Or is he bad for selling his crap guitar and now practice amp for too much once all the payments roll in?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You can read the Wiki entry for him (here). You'll notice the "According to Esteban..." everywhere. He seems to have a very vivid imagination regarding his past life.

or the rather wry spoof entry (here)

I prefer the spoof, myself............ :D

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@progressions)
Reputable Member

I remember seeing the Geico insurance TV commercial that featured him, but at the time I had no idea he was actually real! I thought HE was the cheesy spoof. Then I started to see his informercials...

Isaac Priestley: World Racketeering Squad
http://www.progressions.org/
http://www.youtube.com/worldracketeer

ReplyQuote