Notifications
Clear all

John Mayer's new album

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@thelaughingbard)
Topic starter  

What does everyone think of this album ('Born and Raised')? I like the roots style, but not a fan of the themes. Seems pretty cheesy to me. But I seem to be the only one who thinks this!

One bard on a quest for musical enlightenment.
thelaughingbard.com

(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

I haven't heard the new Mayer album or much else by him really, but he always struck me as being very cheesey.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@thelaughingbard)
Topic starter  

Wow. You're missing out there. What kind of music are you into?

One bard on a quest for musical enlightenment.
thelaughingbard.com

ReplyQuote
(@liontable)
Estimable Member

I have to admit John Mayer is cheesy, despite being a fan. That's not a bad thing in my opinion. Sometimes you want a fancy dinner, sometimes you're in the mood for a burger ...

I really dislike his new album. His live show "Where the Light is" was really a masterpiece, really got me into his music. The new album, however, is really not my style of music. Every album he seems to change his sound, but this time it's a miss for me personally. Sounds a bit country-like to me, and I'm not a fan of it.

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Mr Bard........

I will answer what I listen to in the guise of a song I like.....

"I like rock, I like soul, I like pop but I never liked disco" funny thing is though I do actually like some disco too :P Cant help myself.

I always kind of felt about Mayer that he might be something I listen to when I'm 40 but not now. I like Bonamassa though he has some serious guts :) I also like Robert Cray though I think he is quite an "older audience" guy.

I listen to quite a bit of Indie Rock, I remember talking to someone - Eric Johnson was playing near my hometown - I like him but I am not a huge huge fan and I kind of explained that if I did have the money to blow on EJ I would have used it to see "The Cribs" who I still want to see one day because Eric Johnson is all clean around the edges, he is 100000000 times the guitarist that Ryan Jarman of the cribs is but I love The Cribs for their rawness. If someone said to me "I want to go see Eric Johnson" I would have tagged along but I'm just trying to enjoy my last bit of youth while I can :lol:

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

I never really liked him before, but finally sat down and listened to his stuff. He's much better than I thought. I don't like actually watching him, but some of his stuff is really good. I don't care for his latest album at all, or his acoustic stuff. He's no SRV, but he is actually good. He is more educated than I thought too. He has a Music degree from Berklee College of Music, which I was surprised to learn.

ReplyQuote