Clear all

Mandolin Instruction

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I had posted something in another forum where I was searching for a really comprehensive instruction book for mando, and I have found one: "Bluegrass Mandolin" by Jack Tottle. While I realize there are many styles for playing, I think this is a really good way to get started. The lessons are presented in both standard notation and tablature, and they graduate in complexity as you get farther along.

My only complaint is that this doesn't come with a CD. But this is a slam more towards myself than towards the author. I am ashamed to say that, with the exception of a few songs, I am woefully unfamiliar with most of these beloved folk and bluegrass standards; and the majority of my learning proceedure in the past has been by ear. But I am looking at this as a challenge and a way to exercise my ability to read and play along with sheet music. Still, hearing the actual song would help me play more fluid-ish.

9.5 out of 10.

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Thanks for the review. Tottle's supposed to be very good.

I make it a point to never buy an instructional book without an accompanying CD, as I'm way to lazy to find the tunes elsewhere and I can't "hear" music from reading the standard notation. Not yet, anyway. ;)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

take a look at homespun tapes

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

Take a look at the Mandolin instructions Books and CDs on this site : http://www.celt.com.au/guitar.html#mandolin
- I've got most of them and they are great, especially the one's by Simon Mayor (mainly celtic) and the David Grisman ones (for bluegrass and jazz stuff and some other styles) - all their stuff is recommended by music teachers (the site owners are both either guitar or mandolin teachers, or by other students); the Grisman one is full of information and entertaining anecdotes and hints for improving playing and both slow and fast versions of songs, plus backing sections for you to improvise along with - you can get them at Homespun and Amazon etc :)

ReplyQuote