Skip to content
My Review of David ...

Notifications
Clear all

My Review of David Hodge's Bass Guitar Book !!!

29 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
12.3 K Views
(@banre)
Reputable Member

You should be able to pick it up at any major ( or most any) Book store.

Yup, I saw it in my local Books a Bagillion just last week.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Thank you David.
I received my autographed copy a few days ago and i have taken some time to read the first few chapters and skim through the rest of it.

This is a really well thought out book and should be in every new Bass players bookshelf. From what i can tell i'm sure that seasoned Bass players could benefit from it as well.

I appreciate your kind words included with your autograph, and look forward to useing this to teach my son and daughter as well.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

I ordered my copy of David's book two weeks ago from Dymocks online bookshop thinking I would thereby avoid the Christmas parcel migration rush, they said it would deliver in 2 days, however they were sold out! So have to wait another week or so. THe reviews on Amazon were very encouraging. I was going to send a congratulations email David when your book first came out but thought you get thousands of emails and also that I would seem like an axle greaser as I was always saying thankyou for your lessons earlier on in my membership, that's just my paranoia working overdrive :oops: ; anyway I'm looking forward to your edition for the 6 string, maybe covering later ground than theone done by is it Mr Noad?, that is beginner - intermmediate up to intermediate, just my humble thoughts and wishes. Humble blessings

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Hi Violet

Thanks for ordering the book! I hope you like it and I hope you feel free to write me should you have any questions at all about it. There are a number of mistakes (typos and such) scattered through it and I'm hoping to have an Internet page dedicated to the corrections up soon at my site ( http://www.davidhodge.com ).

Some bad news from the publishing front - I heard right before the holidays that Alpha Books (the publishers of the Idiot's Guides) have turned down my proposal for a beginner's electric guitar book. In some ways I admire this because their thinking is that Frederick Noad's book is their beginning guitar book and they're sticking loyally with it. But in other ways it's a shame because while it is indeed a good book, it is not the way that most people want to learn to play guitar.

Part of it is a huge misconception by the publishers as to who actually buys their books. They perceive their buyers as being predominantly (a) male and (b) younger than twenty-seven and anyone who looks at who's buying guitars knows better. Or guitar magazines, for that matter. The folks at Acoustic Guitar Magazine are constantly reminding their writers that the core audience is more middle aged.

But, I've got more irons in the fire. I spent the holidays repackaging some of the ideas from this last proposal and now there's a "Guide to Guitar Chords" book being discussed as we speak. This would be for beginners and also get into strumming and arpeggios as well as just about any chord you could think of playing.

Also, I'm still working on bringing out a lesson book much in the style of the lessons here at Guitar Noise. I've got two publishers that are interested (at least that's what they're telling me), but I'm constantly having to rewrite proposals and ideas with them and I've been this route before. Still, better to be an optimist, no?

Sorry about the rambling, Violet! The main thing is thank you, very very much, for buying The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Bass Guitar. Let me know what you think and please feel free to post reviews for it wherever you can.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I sure hope you get the contracts to write more books. I've read it a couple of times so far and my brother is making leaps & bounds from reading his copy! :-)

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

Thank you also David, I will enjoy giving you some feedback and will write to your website with any typos I come across. That is a shame about the other Idiot's guide proposal, but the Chord book sounds great and the other with your lessons from this site, good luck, best wishes and thanks again!

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

Still waiting on the arrival of my copy, suppliers here must have had to reorder from US in which case it could be 3 months if it's coming via ship. That's the cost of being stuck down the bottom of the Pacific. Hope I can be a bit more articulate in my responses to the book than my last reply :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

Still waiting on the book, must be coming by canoe :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

This is the best guitar(6 string or bass) related book that I have bought, and I've bought about 15 so far. Too bad on the electric guitar book, I have the IGTP guitar, and I used it for about 20 minutes before I put it on the book shelf to collect dust. Great Job David!

EDIT: I just wrote a review at barnes and noble and amazon.com for ya David. :D

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Still waiting on the book, must be coming by canoe :roll:

Can you cancel your order? If so, I'd be happy to get it for you here and airmail it to you; you can paypal me the cost. Something to think about.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@colonel)
Eminent Member

This is the best guitar(6 string or bass) related book that I have bought, and I've bought about 15 so far. Too bad on the electric guitar book, I have the IGTP guitar, and I used it for about 20 minutes before I put it on the book shelf to collect dust. Great Job David!

EDIT: I just wrote a review at barnes and noble and amazon.com for ya David. :D

So would you say that even though I'm not a bass player that this book would be helpful to read? I'm still looking for something to supplement my lessons.

Leadership is based on inspiration, not domination; on cooperation, not intimidation.

-- William Arthur Wood

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

Colonel, it would be hard for me to say with out knowing how far along you are. It helped me on guitar because I was stuck in a rut, and it helped me to look at the fretboard a little differently. There is probably a better book if you're just interested in guitar, it just happens that I haven't found it yet. I've heard that "Blues you can use" is really good if you're into the blues, but I haven't looked at that one myself, as of yet.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Mike - thanks for the kudos and a special thank you for making the time to post an online review. The publishers do look at those so who knows, you may be winning me some bonus points for a guitar book somewhere down the road.

And Violet, I'm with Mitch. Books I've sent to New Zealand, Iceland, Australia and India all got there within two weeks. I'd be more than happy to send you a copy.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

Dear David and Mitch, Thanks so much for your kind offer - what must have happened is that the supplier here had run out of copies so they had to reorder their supplies from US and they are being mailed by container ship which can often take 3 - 4 months; if it came by airmail it usually costs a lot more; I'll get on to them tomorrow and see what's happening and get back to you if I need to, that's so kind of you both - sorry for the late reply :)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2