Clear all

Rush in Cincinnati

19 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Monday night I got to see Rush for the 4th time. Last year, my oldest son (now 16) and a friend of his went with me to Atlanta to see them. This year, they went again and I also got to take my youngest son, 11, for his first concert ever. He loved it! The show was excellent, but you can expect nothing less from those guys. I thought the show was better than last year's.

POSSIBLE SETLIST SPOILER Below...

The basic setlist was the same from last year, but they switched out a few songs. New songs this year were Red Barchetta, The Trees and the 1st 2 parts of 2112 (Overture and Temples).

Bass player for Undercover

(@ejwebb)
Trusted Member

Your setlist is not showing up. I am going July 24th in Indy - have never seen them but am looking forward to it.

I was wondering if they stick to the older stuff or mix in a bunch of new songs. My experience with them is mostly up to the "Chronicles" point with a little "Roll the Bones" mixed in and I am not very familiar with anything newer.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

jwmartin, it's great that you are converting the kids! I got into Rush when I was around 12 or 13, and they are one of only two bands that I've never grown tired of, for almost thirty years!

ejwebb: the complete setlist can be viewed at the rushisaband website; it's very similar to what's on the live S&A CD set (from the first leg of the tour), with just a handful of changes.

17 days 'til Rush in DC!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

...My experience with them is mostly up to the "Chronicles" point with a little "Roll the Bones" mixed in and I am not very familiar with anything newer.

I know you didn't ask for suggestions, but I'd pick up their Feedback EP, prior to the show if you can. It is a collection of songs that inspired them as young musicians. I'm sure several of these tunes will be on their current set list, and they are all great.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Spoilers warning still in effect...

ejwebb, I didn't post the whole list, just noted some of the songs they added since last year. I left the blank space for people who didn't want to see what songs were being played. They play a good mix of old and new. The first set is mostly stuff you'll know, with 2 new songs. 2nd Set starts off w/ 5 new songs from Snakes & Arrows, then some old stuff. Encore has 1 song from Vapor Trails and the other 2 are older. I recommend you pick up Snakes & Arrows, it's a great album. In my opinion, their best album since Signals.

slej, that's about the time I got into Rush too. I think it was the summer I turned 12 and a friend's older brother played Exit...Stage Left and I was hooked. My kids didn't stand a chance :D I wish I'd had a video camera to catch my 11 year old's reaction when the opening "shooosh" to 2112 started. That's his favorite song.

Big Lar, Feedback is a great album, but they didn't play anything from it this time. When I saw them in Atlanta last year, they played Summertime Blues, but nothing this year.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

They played Crossroads and Summertime Blues in London in 2004, but nothing from Feedback when they played London last year.

I got into Rush in 1978 - around the release of Farewell To Kings. They always play excellent shows and they've got to where they are with practically no support from the media

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@billyboy)
Estimable Member

Saw them twice last year (Concord and St. Paul) there was nothing from Feedback.

I'd suggest getting their latest, Snakes and Arrows, they do about 6-7 songs off it. And it's a great CD as well..

Cheers

"In my dreams your blowin' me... some kisses" - Lets Duet - Dewford Randolph Cox

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Got my latest copy of Rolling Stone in the mail last night and I about fell off the couch when I turned a page and there was a feature article on Rush. It's pretty well known that RS hates Rush and always has. The article wasn't very flattering and based on their description of the music, the article could have been written in 1984, they completely ignored their newer sound.

ReplyQuote
(@billyboy)
Estimable Member

Got my latest copy of Rolling Stone in the mail last night and I about fell off the couch when I turned a page and there was a feature article on Rush. It's pretty well known that RS hates Rush and always has. The article wasn't very flattering and based on their description of the music, the article could have been written in 1984, they completely ignored their newer sound.

Reminds me of the online drive to get them in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Why bother? Besides '2112' and 'Moving Pictures' they've always pretty much been a cult band. Considering who they induct lately, might be an honor to NOT be added.

To be honest they are slightly strange and I can honestly see how the masses don't get too excited because it's generally not very spontaneous emotional commercial music.

But it is if you 'get it' :D. La Villa, Circumstances, Entre Nous, Subdivisions, Limelight, The Pass, Cold Fire... dozens of songs that were the soundtrack of my youth. I've no problem with them being and staying a cult band. :wink:

"In my dreams your blowin' me... some kisses" - Lets Duet - Dewford Randolph Cox

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

........... I've no problem with them being and staying a cult band. :wink:

That's just the thing, Rush are an unbelievably massive cult. I saw young-ish children at Wembley with their Grandparents, concert DVDs regularly show audiences who weren't born when I got into the band, and "cult" bands don't fill arenas.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@billyboy)
Estimable Member

........and "cult" bands don't fill arenas.

Granted :)

I gave up being miffed years ago about Rush not getting their due in the 'mainstream'. They did what they wanted on their own terms ( ..with just a few slip-ups ) and are rich - we got the music. Not a bad deal. All three are still making the covers of musicians magazines on a regular basis. More of an honor than a write-up in Rolling Stone. Didn't they have Britney Spears on the cover once?

ReplyQuote
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

Sorry to hijack this thread, but its readers are most likely interested in this little news:

Rush (no, not him) to perform on ‘Colbert'

First time on US Television since 1975. Kinda a big deal. My DVR is set.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Excellent, I'll record it too, though Rush has been on Colbert before:

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=156308

(takes a while, they show up at 2:20 and 2:45)

:wink:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@billyboy)
Estimable Member

Sorry to hijack this thread, but its readers are most likely interested in this little news:

Rush (no, not him) to perform on ‘Colbert'

First time on US Television since 1975. Kinda a big deal. My DVR is set.

Yes!! Thanks for the headsup.

ReplyQuote
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

Excellent, I'll record it too, though Rush has been on Colbert before:

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=156308

(takes a while, they show up at 2:20 and 2:45)

:wink:

This was awesome!!! I needed that this afternoon. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2