Clear all

Adjusting voice or capo on guitar?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Nuno had recommended that I post this in this section to find out if I need to move the capo to help compensate for my voice or do I need to just maybe sing a bit differently. I am by no means a good singer and I can't seem to stay on key no matter how much I practice or what techniques I try to use. So any help on that matter would be great as well.

Thanks to anyone that can stomach through this. This is the first original song that I've done.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6951561

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@nathan080)
Estimable Member

I liked your song, and I liked your voice... Your problem is that your range is quiet limited, you started off really strongly and then trailed off a bit as it got higher. I would recommend lowering the key of the song (if its in standard with no capo on then you could down tune your guitar) or work on the higher registers of your voice... but the second option is the harder one ;).
But well done on the song, I enjoyed it :)

Nath

From Your Influence...
http://www.overplay.com/BandProfile.aspx?BandId=e78b497f-4f31-4182-8659-e8b6fa91d582

http://www.youtube.com/user/FromYourInfluence

ReplyQuote
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

You're way too hard on yourself. Your voice has a nice resonance to it, and I thnk you'll do fine with a little practice.

I don't think the capo will help much, as the song doesn't appear too low for you. In fact, you seem to get pitchy as you go higher.

I think the primary problem is breathing--your voice sounds unsupported at times (that's that drifting, inbetweeness of pitch, wavering sound), but it could well be that you simply need some focused practice on this piece. Have you been singing this song a long time? Have you put a lot of real work into the vocal? Many people believe (even subconsciously) that singing is a natural talent, and they get discouraged when the first take doesn't quite work. In fact, focused practice may well make a big difference in your singing. Imagine the pitches you're going to hit before you it them; mull over your pronunciation of each word, trying to keep on the vowel as long as you can, etc.

If you have practiced this piece in a focused manner, then some lessons may be in order to get the breathing working correctly.

Still, excellent voice, man. Nice resonance, and definitely something you can work into a great performing voice. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the encouragment to both of you! I appreciate it!

I think the first thing I'll do is remove the Capo off the first fret and see if that changes anything, and then concentrate on staying within a limited range.

To answer your questions, yes I've been practicing this specific song for about a month and a half, but it's been an ever evolving thing as I've been changing alot of the lyrics as I go. I'll give all your suggestions a shot and then I'll re-record and see where it goes.

Thanks again!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote