Notifications
Clear all

am i good or not??

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@iron_and_wine)
Topic starter  

so all my life (im 16) i have been told im just not very good at singing. well i finally got some equipment to record so i recorded myself and im just not sure. it dosnt sound great but i have heard you never think you sound good the first time you hear yourself. anyway i recorded a little cover of iron and wine just to let you guys hear and give me some advice. (im sure i need it)

please note i did not practice this song so please do not judge my guitar playing or recording quality, just constructive criticism on singing, thanks (oh and yes i messed up the first note, i know)

http://media.putfile.com/Boy-with-a-Coin-82

(@scrybe)
Famed Member

your singing is a little flat in places and its sounds quite nasally throughout, but both of these are things which can be worked on and eliminated if you're willing to put the hours in. you have a good sense of rythm and your singing is strong enough (i.e. you don't get out of breath, your breathing seems pretty decent so the notes are coming out clearly, it isn't so quiet we can barely hear it) to suggest that with practise you could have a good voice. one of the biggest music myths is that singing is something which comes naturally - for most people this simply isn't true, even those with a supposedly 'innate' singing ability have honed their craft for years before most people get to hear them perform.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

right now your singing is somewhere in between bad and good. which means you don't totally suck. i don't know who has told you that you're not good at singing because that's not quite true. it's like anything else in music...you need practice. so you have to find ways to get in the practice and experience whether that's formal lessons, or getting together with friends and starting a band, or joining the chorus at school if there is one, or going outside to the park and playing. there's always listening closely to your CDs and, for now, imitating the way they sing. recording yourself is always a good way but you have to listen with a critical ear.

ReplyQuote
(@crub05)
Eminent Member

Hey...I personally dont think its that bad ....Its got a lot of style. Your voice as a voice is very unique.....I think the only problem lies with you maybe trying to hard to sing in a certain style? (dont worry I do the exact same thing) therefore the voices sounds a bit 'forced'. So maybe just loosen up and let the voice flow out of you. Try to find some breathing techniques online and give them ago because as was said above it is a bit nasally....which I know personally is a hard thing to correct. But dont give up...you have a very unique voice....its the type of voice I myself could easily listen to :).

x

ReplyQuote
(@iron_and_wine)
Topic starter  

Wow, thank all of you guys so much, your comments really really boosted my confidence. hardcore. i really feel like i could become decent with practice and training and this is all good considering i would like to peruse music as a career. so thank you guys so much. heres another quick cover just in case you want to give it a listen and see if you cant give me anymore advice. thanks so much

of and scrybe, thanks for the rhythm comment, i would hope i have a good sense of rythem because i am a drummer (set and drumline)

http://media.putfile.com/The-Chimbley-Sweep

ReplyQuote
(@elpantalla)
Honorable Member

Your voice itself isn't bad. In fact, I really like your voice. You just need to work a little on hitting the notes, you were a bit flat in some parts. With practice you will get better and better, so keep practicing.

One chord is fine.
Two you're pushing it.
Three and you're into jazz.

ReplyQuote
(@jonny-guitar)
Trusted Member

I agree. Not too bad. Especially the second recording, in my opinion. I think the thing you'll most need to improve is confidence, which you obviously have since you were brave enough to put up these recordings in the first place. Good attitude.

Good luck and enjoy your playing!

ReplyQuote