Clear all

Am I Tenor or Bass or....? Please help

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@lacoocoo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have no idea how to figure out weither i'm a tenor bass or whatever....i tried to figure it out on my own but i don't know how. The lowest note i can sing is the F on my 6th string and the highest note i can sing is a G on the first string on my guitar..... i havn't sang that much or havn't done too much training i was just wondering wat i am now...thanks for any help

(@handelfan)
Eminent Member

Low F to high g is a good range, I would call it a high baritone (the sort of tweener of Bass and Tenor). In other words, you seem able to hit both a few "tenor" notes and a few "bass" notes. What makes the difference, sometimes, is what range you feel more comfortable singing in - the higher end of that spectrum or the lower.

Or if that's not enough, sometimes the difference is made by the timbre of your voice in those registers. Tenors, in general, will sound more focused and brighter on the high notes, while true basses will sound a bit more "woofy" if you will.

I am where my mind put me.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

G is a good note to be able to hit. Personally, I can only get to F or F #(on a good day), and it really makes it tough when I go to sing something like the beatles. I'm jealous.

ReplyQuote
(@dennett340)
Estimable Member

it's not about what note you can hit up to. It's about taking the time to fully developing your range to its maximal limit and feeling comfortable with it and being able to produce a resonant, great sound within that. The vast majority of songs don't go beyond an A or an A#. (bryan adams, bon jovi, freddie mercury, U2 songs are very high and challenging- and hence great practice material)

And most rockers, when they perform, they sing a half step, full step or even lower than their original recordings. (this is due to their rigorous touring schedule and their way of demanding less from their voices)

ReplyQuote