Notifications
Clear all

Axl Rose

18 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@slashfan)
Topic starter  

Just Wondering if there are any Guns & Roses fans in here..Supposedly Axl is releasing his long awaited Chinese democracy record this March, but who knows for sure..lol...

Anyways I was just wondering if you guys think this disk will sound good because he sounds the shits live these days but maybe the studio can help revive the Axl of old...

My question is this, what happened to his voice?...Did he damage his vocal chords with all the screaming he used to do and now he cant sing or what? Does anybody know the science on how you can ruin your voice....I know that some people say Axl could never sing..lol...but at least he used to be in tune, now hes just painful to listen too...example the song "madagascar" from Live at Rio performance...

I mean Stephen Tyler is a bit of a screacher too but he can still rock it with the best of em and sounds awesome..

And Gods name is Smack for some

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I dont really have an answer to your questions but Axl was one of my first inspirations in rock n roll. Very funny considering who I have become but I used to LOVE watching him perform and trying to be like him. I doubt I will even listen to the CD. Its like a great old memory that you dont want to tarnish by revisiting it.

My best guess on your questions about his voice is alcohol, drugs, screaming, and maybe even a bit of falling from his pedistol were things that ruined it. Ya gotta breath, you have to take care of the strings (Vocal chords in this case) and you gotta feel comfortable playing it. Its true of guitar and singing.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@guitar_goddess)

I'm a big fan of GNR...wishing Axl would come back and actually do something good.. :roll:
I heard him say one time that he often doesn't sing well on purpose...sacrificing technique for emotion
seemed to be the reason. I dunno though
I still want the new album though lol...although it would have been nice to see the original band back together.
Anyways I would think that singin like that for so many years must do some damage. I think you can actually make little tears on your vocal chords and it can change your voice

Later
Goddess

"People Suck, Music Doesn't"~ Mick Mars

ReplyQuote
(@slashfan)
Topic starter  

true dat, turns out that axl is going to start touring again in the summer http://www.newgnr.com/newgnr.html
...should be interesting...lol..

ReplyQuote
(@midway-man)
Estimable Member

I really like Axl and I'm sooooo tired of people bashing him. I dont know about his voice being damaged. I always prefered his vocals in songs like Bad Obsesion as aposed to the falsetto vocals on Apetite. Anyway I'm looking forward to the relese of the album. Hopefuly it will take off as well as Contaban did for Velvet Revolver. Mabe just mabe he'll regain some respect and credability :wink:

"You can drive a song or you can make it sit still."

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

GNR are lined up to headline at Donnington. Maybe he'll turn up, maybe he won't. Rose's track record is not good.

A: -)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@midway-man)
Estimable Member

GNR are lined up to headline at Donnington. Maybe he'll turn up, maybe he won't. Rose's track record is not good.

That is to be exspected from artist and craftsmen from a lot of different feilds. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I just listened to a couple of the Chinese Democracy demos, didn't like them at all. IRS was OK, but I was bored before it finished, the others I just didn't like anything about, and I really didn't like the style of them. :cry:

GnR were the band that turned me from some kid who never even paid attention to music to being obsessed by it, growing my hair and learning to play the guitar, so I desperately wanted to find something I liked in there...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@midway-man)
Estimable Member

Dude thats a shame, but there could still be a suprize or two.
But all bullsh*t a side... as long as it has taken I'd be suprized if it could ever live up to the Worlds exspectations!!!

ReplyQuote
(@slashfan)
Topic starter  

Well think of it the IRS song you heard is not a studio version is it? Its probably live and he doesn;t sound as good. If the studio can make ashley simpson sound good, i think the axle as we knew him will be back on his studio record. And you cant take away the fact that he is a very good song writer, im waiting to hear madagascar in the studio version, that song should sound awesome...
Anywho, if you think about it Axl fronted the biggest rock band of the late 80's and early 90's and i think its cool he just disappeared and will soon release the new record. I mean if he would have offed himself like Cobain or overdosed he would be referred to by most as a god i think, but now he is referred to as a old recluse bum has been..lol....time will tell i guess.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

They were all live versions, but it was the song I was analysing rather than the recording - they just didn't do it for me.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@midway-man)
Estimable Member

Dude... I cant believe you went there with the Ashley Simpson thing. That subject is one that always puts a bee in my bonnet!! It's not so much talent related as much as the perpetration of a Rocker Girl. I Hate Posers... and she is a perfect candidate for POSTER GIRL! I'm not going to go on a exstended rant on the subject, "believe me I could" but I will suggest some remedys! First... tell her parents ( her Dad ) to frick off! Second... grab a Tele and don't let go. Third... tell whatever label she's with "NO BOUNDARIES"... I have no problem with making money on one's art, I'm a big fan of money but investers have a tendance to take comprise to Sell Out proportions. If all else fails...sign with a Indi label.
I really like some of her songs and there's a big market for that kind of stuff with pre & erly Teen girls. However she's going to half to walk the walk before she gains my respect.

Sorry I got so fare off topic :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@graycee_grey)
Eminent Member

Hey -

I'm a huge GNR fan and have been wondering about the most anticipated release of Chinese Democracy. I am not sure if any of you are aware of it or not, but check out the following website about the release of CD and other AXL and GNR info:

http://www.chinesedemocracy.com/

I am not sure about any information about Axl's voice. I saw GNR in concert several times and each time his voice was perfect! I do recall him canceling a lot of tours though back in the day because his voice needed "rest."

Anyway, I haven't heard any demos off of CD yet, but either way, I am still going to buy it. Axl is an amazing front man and singer - I hope the release of Chinese Democracy brings him back because, let's face it, we need him!
:P

Cheers!

"Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

ReplyQuote
(@liveguitar515)
Eminent Member

Wouldn't you know it, 2 seconds ago I was listening to Mr. Brownstone on vinyl... sweet, I'm glad they're going on tour again!

ReplyQuote
(@jcjxxl)
Trusted Member

Maybe the new GnR and Velvet Revolver will go on a world tour together...LOL! ;)

I agree with a previous post about hearing the demos off of Chinese Democracy and not being impressed. As much as I am a GnR/Axl fan, I thought what I heard was "boring".

Chinese Democracy is the album that never was. I really do hope it finally gets polished and released, but how many times has the release date been pushed back?

I guess we will all just have to wait and see.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2