Notifications
Clear all

Beginning singer

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@paulb22)
Topic starter  

Hi i was wondering if someone could give me some advice on singing, i am a complete beginner, and i wish to do it as a pastime, i play acoustic guitar, and i want to sing alongside when i'm playing songs, i'm mainly learning Beatles songs such as She Loves You and Ticket To Ride, i've tried singing along while i'm playing guitar i've no problem doing both at the same time, but when i sing i either sing to low to be heard above the guitar, or i just sound plain awful. I'm just wondering would the more experienced singers out there advise i get lessons or could i somehow self-teach myself. Thanks in advance, Paul

(@henrik)
Trusted Member

I'm not that good at singing but my advice would be to take it slow, there are also some lessons at Guitar Noise. I'd recommend this one.

ReplyQuote
(@moriondor)
Trusted Member

Start at the beginning like you did when you started to learn how to play guitar. Look around for some vocal exercises that help with strengthening your voice and listen to yourself each time you sing. Instead of trying to sing along while you play, try listening to yourself sing while you listen to your favourite CD, if you can keep pitch and hold notes etc. then it might just be that trying to play and sing is distracting you. Get your voice and your playing up to a good standard separately before you put them together and you will be more confident, and confidence in your voice is essential or you will be to quiet or unsure of your ability.

a cauliflower is just a cabbage with a college education

ReplyQuote
(@babs22110)
Eminent Member

Really anyone can sing. You have to go with the rhythme and if you mess up just keep trying again. being a good singer doesnt come easy. I am only 15 but i have been singing since i was about 10. I would say im a pretty good/talented singer but i still need to control my singing as well. It matters about pitch and tone. just go with the flow.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i was in the same position as you. I say take lessons if you can. even a few. the trouble with self teaching is that you can't really hear yourself the way a trained person can so you need their ears.

ReplyQuote