Clear all

Bob Dylan...and singing for that matter

17 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

When I read that post about "anyone can sing there" was a lot of talk people saying things like "bob dylan was a bad singer but he just did..." these people probably dont listen to a lot of dylan, or know much about singing for that matter(in my estimation). Listen to mr tamborine man or it aint me, he sings on key his voice soars at the right times, you feel the emotions hes feeling. If thats not singing I don't know what is. A 3 octave range can still sounds like a machine and kurt cobain had the range of a cork gun. Its about conveying emotion not sounding like an opra singer (though that part is cool too haha)

And another thing haha. A lot of people said things like my voice sucks its not my fault I can't sing. Actaully your completely wrong it is entirely your fault you can't sing. Im not saying there arent some people who is comes easier too, im saying that itll come to anyone who trys enough. Practice scales as much as you can for 6 months and see what happens, its a muscle, it gets stronger but only if you work it out. Singing a scale once and deciding that its hard and you sounded bad so you should stop would be like a young body builder looking at the world champion and deciding that hes lifts 500 lbs and I can only life 200 and its really hard and he was born with bigger muscles wahhhh. This man will never be a world champion. And you will never be a good singer if you don't give it some work.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Hey just want to say a couple of things on this subject

1/ I'm a big Dylan fan the man can - could sing

2/ I can't sing like a Rod Stewart or someone

but am getting lessons and I quote my teacher , " You may learn to dance like Fred Astaire or play like Eric Clapton but there is just no way your going to sing like an angel .

Some have it some don't

( me I just don't but won't stop me from damaging other peoples ear drums )

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I don't think I've heard Dylan can't sing. Dylan did sing.

I think the point is that he took what he had and ran with it. You can learn to sing. You can't change what you were born with to sing. You can make what you have work. You can make what you have stronger.

ReplyQuote
(@pkrider)
Trusted Member

Check out the original "Lay lady Lay". Dylan's voice sounds deep and rich. I read an interview years ago and he was asked about why his voice sounded different on Lay Lady Lay... Dylan said, "I had quit smoking for a couple of weeks and it affected my singing". I wondered why he ever started smoking again. Anyhow, I love Dylan and his voice was adequate with alot of passion making his songs and singing great. However, if youve seen him live theres a decent chance you've been dissapointed. I've seen him live several times. When he opened for the Dead in Anaheim in 86 he was aweful. When he opened for Phil and friends in Ventura he was so good it was like a dream. I saw him at the Paladium in Hollywood in 95 (about a month before Jerry died btw) and he was unbelievably great (we were literally leaning our elbows on the stage as it was GA seating. I made eye contact with him several times :)). The last two times I saw him in Santa Barbara (01 & 04) he was adequate at best, and when I saw him last year in hollywood at the Pantages he was a disgrace (never picked up his guitar and mumbled the entire show). I think Dylan's singing takes a bad rap because he's lived a hard life on the road and his voice isn't always 100% (who's is). Anyhow, not trying to hijack the Dylan post, cause I love Dylan. The man made the most of what he had/has and he has inspired millions of people... both musicians and non musicians alike.

PK

ReplyQuote
(@robertcallus)

Definitely Dylan had very good qualities as a muscian, eapecially as a song writer. When it comes to singing it depends on the way one defines good singing. From the aspect of conveying passion and emotion he is definitely one of the best. He can bring tears to your eyes or make you raise your fist. On the other hand I think that people who go for the more technical aspect might be irritated by Dylan occasionally going out of key and having limited abilites.

Also when it comes to conveying passion in singing I prefer Joan Baez. Its just a matter of taste of course.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I have mentioned several times that many singers like Bob Dylan do not have a "pretty" or "trained" voice. I certainly was not saying he couldn't sing. No, just the opposite, I have said that Bob Dylan has learned how to sing with his own original voice. I think he is a fantastic singer.

There are many singers with not so pretty voices. Rod Stewart and Joe Cocker come to mind.
Tom Waits sounds like an alley cat being dragged over sandpaper, but I think he is an incredible singer.

Here is what I was talking about. Check out this video. Fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuW06i9GRTE&search=tom%20waits

So, you might have misunderstood what I or some others might have said.

I completely agree with you on practice. Your voice is an instrument exactly like guitar. To be a good singer you need to learn as much as possible about the voice and practice often.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for the video..I love Tom waits :D I saw him back in 78 on the "Blue Valentine tour" He was just awesome 8) He can pour more emotion into one line than most performers can put into the whole song :!: It just comes down to puting some feeling into it.--the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dgkZ5oCpF3A&search=Tom%20Waits

see what I mean :D

Not to hijack this thread, but if you wan't to get into his head, this is a great interview of Tom Waits on npr. Its a bit long, but it streams well. He is simply one of the best singer /song writers around IMHO--the dog
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4077216

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

smokindog

That was a great video. I am a big fan of Tom Waits also.

Reminds me of Louie Armstrong, another great singer with a voice like a frog.

It just goes to show that you don't have to have a pretty voice to sing. For me, I would rather listen to someone with a unique voice than a pretty, trained voice.

So, no matter what kind of voice you have, you can make it work for you.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Whoa this got big, I dont really know why i wrote this it wasnt really aimed at anyone, I had just started to really listen to a lot of dylan and I dunno I really liked his voice haha. You guys are both cool you commented on my jam haha. I didnt mean to sound so angry haha i wasnt. God bob dylan rocks so much I wish I knew an organ player.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I know they're not great shows, but you should try watching a few of the American Idol, X-Factor type of programme. If you just listen to the voice, rather than the performance, most are well-trained, solid singing voices - but so few actually have any character. The majority are voices that you hear every week in bars, hotels, etc. and none of them stand out from any other of the thousands of part-time singers.
Dylan, Rod Stewart, etc., all have voices loaded with character. They are instantly recognisable - which in show biz is a no bad thing.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dneck

No problem, it was a good subject.

Greybeard, yeah, having character and personality is more important than a trained voice.

Here is a great video with an all-star cast of croakers... Neil Young, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, George Harrison and more. Great solo by EC too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t3RAG8tit4&search=BOB%20DYLAN

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I think that it would be worth it to be old now, if I could have seen bob dylan when he was young

-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@rayjaytray)

I saw Bob Dylan not too long ago. (4/14/06) He can't sing anymore; anyone who says he can is out of their mind. That's not to say that I didn't really love the show. It was good for what it was and his band is sharp as ever. Merle Haggard aged a lot better. Still, it was wonderful seeing Dylan since I'm a HUGE fan.

I'm suprised that Bob just stood up there wailing as one poster said. He's been playing organ at his most recent concert and ocassionally busts out a simple riff on the harmonica. I was really wanting him to wail on the harmonica during All Along the Watchtower at the concert I saw but he never did...doh! The crowd seems to really dig it when he gets on he harp.

Just about every song on Nashville Skyline (including Lay Lady Lay) has that smooth voice. I like Dylan because he always changed it up with plenty of his albums that he did. It takes balls to go out to concert and play non-studio versions of his famous songs.

Singing is about taking the best of what you got and working it out like a badass. (see bob dylan)

ReplyQuote
(@aussie-rocker)
Eminent Member

Bob Dylan could sing in key.. He could hold a note..

He came onto the scene when the time was right for him.

I personally don't like his singing most of the time.

However, there are exceptions with some of his songs.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2