Notifications
Clear all

Breathing Problems - Please Help!

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@fusilli_jerry89)
Topic starter  

I have learned how to breathe correctly but I am experiencing a bit of an issue...i think. When I am standing and take in a huge breath, if there is not much food in my stomach, I will feel something weird in my stomach. It sounds the same when your stomach makes the 'hungry' noise. It almost sounds as if my lungs are pushing of my stomach??? When I sit down this does not happen tho. Today, I took in a huge breath and held it for several seconds and the area right above my shoulder blades began to hurt. After that my shoulders hurt for 30 minutes. Am I breathing too deeply? I can get more air into my lungs if I breath upwards rather than the correct way (outwards). Am I doing something wrong or this natural? Should I see a doctor?

(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

I'm not sure I'm understanding this. You feel discomfort while breathing correctly, but only when you haven't eaten and only when you're standing? You also describe two different experiences--a feeling like a hungry stomach and a feeling of pain in your shoulder blades. You also describe a feeling as a sound--I assume you mean the gurgling noise that accompanies a slight tingling in the stomach?

In any case, my guess is that part of the problem is that you're simply not used to the feeling of breathing correctly. Breathing properly and getting into proper alignment can make one feel strange. I don't know what to make of the empty/full stomach business, however. It is not unusual for singers to feel discomfort while singing with a full stomach, but I've never heard of discomfort caused by an empty stomach.

More importantly, you may be tensing up simply because you're trying too hard to get the breathing and alignment right. You repeatedly refer to "huge" breaths, but you really don't need to breath this way! I know in my case this was a problem: I used to take breaths like I was about to go underwater, as if I were some kid showing off how long I can stay under! You don't need to take big breaths. If you tend to run out of air, focus on holding back the air you have--make sure your sound isn't breathy. Tension would seem to explain the back pain as well. Try to relax, and breathe as normally as possible using your diaphragm.

Of course, I'm not a doctor, so I can't tell whether or not you need to see one. Common sense suggests that, should these problems persist (and especially if they get worse) medical attention would be a good idea.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Yeah...the quack seems to be the guy to see!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

find out the difference between diaphragmatic breathing and chest breathing. diaphragmatic breathing is what you want to be doing.

ReplyQuote
(@fusilli_jerry89)
Topic starter  

LOL every vocal teacher/coach ive been to says im breathing properly but ive never showed them this breathing I am having problems with. I think I may be breathing too deeply as the fellow above suggests. Thx!

ReplyQuote
(@mousami)

Breathing problem is quite common in singing and we must overcome by good practice and confidence also. I also come across this problem when I sing in the church choir and I'm practicing daily in my home and choir rehearsal to overcome the breathing problem.

Sreevysh Corp

ReplyQuote
(@nathan080)
Estimable Member

As with all things in singing, I always assume that if something hurts I'm doing it wrong. Are you physically forcing the air down? It should be a relatively relaxing process, you shouldn't be trying to deflate the room your standing in ;).

If you are doing it naturally and it still hurts. I would recommend doing what has been suggested, and going to visit the old GP. If there's nothing wrong with you... pay for just a few vocal lessons to get a good idea of what you should be doing :)

From Your Influence...
http://www.overplay.com/BandProfile.aspx?BandId=e78b497f-4f31-4182-8659-e8b6fa91d582

http://www.youtube.com/user/FromYourInfluence

ReplyQuote
(@paperdice)

wish i could help i have horrible breathing

ReplyQuote
(@effectsguru)

Honestly, I can't help but think perhaps you have asthma, and that certainly makes singing a lot harder... I would ask a doctor on this.... unless I'm not understanding you.. what you described sounds a lot like asthma.

http://www.effectsguru.com

ReplyQuote