Clear all

childish voice

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@jadiny)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hey, first thing great idea for a forum!
I have this problem with my voice, its not that i can't sing in tune its just that i have a very childish voice.I mean i sound like a five year old
think jimmy osmond :oops: but more babyish it's terrible. Am i right with thinking if my voice gets stronger with practise it won't sound so babyish and do you think it will mature with age.

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you too, can become great.

--Mark Twain

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

jadiny

Well, I can't say if your voice will change. Most people's voices do tend to get deeper as they get older.

I don't know of too many people who like their own voice, so there is nothing unusual about that. Even great singers often do not like their voice. But if other people like it then that's what really counts.

Your voice is pretty much determined by the size of your vocal chords, so there is not a whole lot you can do about that.

Just because you have a high voice does not mean you cannot be a great singer. Geddy Lee of Rush has a very high, childlike voice, especially for a man. I myself think he is an excellent singer. And he has done pretty well with that voice. :D Elton John has a fairly high voice as does Axel Rose previously of Guns and Roses. Many female singers have very high voices.

People love original voices. So go with the voice you have and make the most of it. Record yourself and listen back. Find songs that fit your natural range.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Great question Jadiny. Went I first started singing I didnt like my voice either. I was with an 80s garbage band and it just didnt sound like a voice that should be singing 80s metal. But to cover for the lack of quality we used effects to enhance it some. A little echo, use an equalizer to draw some bass out, little reverb I think it was and WOW it sounded pretty good. I got to the point where I wouldnt sing without the effects. LOL I've since gotten over that but just keep at it. Practice does help and like Wes said. No matter what you sound like, most people dont like their voice.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi Jadiny,

It's not how high or low your voice is, it's how you use it. Listen to David Hodge talking on some of the sound clips here - his voice is a long way from being deep and booming, but that makes no difference to whether he can sing or not, or how good it sounds. Here's an article in which he mentions that he has quite a high range:

David's article "Home on Your Range"

And have you ever heard Roy Orbison? He had a high voice, but was an outstanding singer. I have a big collection of singers on CD from booming opera basses to stunning tenors, but for making my hair stand on end you can't beat old Roy!

Here's a few quotes about him from somebody else:
His voice was unearthly...
He had the ability, like all great rock'n'rollers, to sound like he'd dropped in from anothere planet..
..right at the end of "It's Over" when he hits that note where it sounds like the world's going to end, I'd be lying there promising myself that I was never going to go outside again and never going to talk to another woman....
I carry his records with me when I go on tour today..

and so on. (BTW, it was Bruce Springsteen talking about Roy O).

My voice is higher than I'd sometimes like too, but you gotta learn to love what you got and work with it. And as the others have said it will develop a lot too, particularly if you put a little work into doing it right.

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@jadiny)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, yeah your right i should just be happy and use my bad voice and pass it off as (originality) lol. I am constantly practising at every oppurtunity :oops: my mind went blank with that word not sure i spelt it right . Anyway I'm also trying to increase my volume it's very low without a microphone.

Thanks for the replies geoo,wes and chris appreciated :D

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you too, can become great.

--Mark Twain

ReplyQuote
(@stefhy)
Trusted Member

hey< i have the same problem, i sound like a little girl no matter what i do, and I'm so country it bothers me lol. I don't like my voice at all, and it's definately not loud enough, so I can definatley empathize you with on all of those things. I'm sure you sound great though, as the people who posted before me said, as long as others like your voice it shows there's nothing wrong with it. Anyway, I never have much to say, more blabbing than anything, so I'm off. Good luck with everything :)

I know it wasn't reason,
That made me do what wasn't right
but sometimes my heart falls prone
to the nature of your spite.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

After 30 years of smoking 2 packs a day (I quit last May) my voice sounds something like a frog getting run over by a truck in mid croak.
I would love to have your voice. The things I could do with it would be amazing.
Try doing some Journey covers or even Stixx.
Man you have a gift, work with it.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Oooooops!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

hey< i have the same problem, i sound like a little girl no matter what i do, and I'm so country it bothers me lol. I don't like my voice at all, and it's definately not loud enough

Hey Stefhy!

As an "older" woman who started out with a small, little girl voice all I can really tell you is of my personal experience. There's some pros and cons to having a small, little girl voice. When I first started singing I didn't know how to properly project, I didn't breathe right, and, quite frankly, I was more than a bit nervous about it. As I practiced and practiced, my voice grew stronger, I learned how to manipulate it (or, as some would say, I learned to play my instrument!), and I got over my nervousness through sheer repetition. So, now I can sing in lots of styles and "voices". Where the small, little girl voice comes in (and I've developed a love of this particular style).... I don't know if you're familiar with girl singers from the twenties, thirties and forties (Think Billie Holiday! Oh, and Squirrell Nut Zippers has a girl singer that is an excellent example.). Here's a link to some of my favorites http://www.bluebeat.com/tm/info/102 , they also have a "radio station" so you can hear what I'm talking about!! (Remember, the blues of the 20's and 30's are NOT the blues of today.) Hope this helps. Maybe you could do some "country blues"!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote