Clear all

cigs, beer, raspy voices, and jim morrison

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
14 K Views
(@deerinheadlightt)
Topic starter  

well, you all know the natrual, usual normal singing voice. and well you know we've all heard the songs like twist and shout (the way john did it of the beatles) where we all kindof catch ourselves and be like, wow!, thats a really awesome sortof broken raspy singing voice. then i listen to the doors alot and jim morrisons voice really gets you on how such a good singer he is. (by the way does anybody know if he's tenor or baritone?). and you all know, (well i'm assuming that you know) that jim morrison was a heavy drinker, and that did things to his voice, and also cigs. you know cigs do alot of stuff. and well i guess i'm just asking for opinons out there on all this. and a few questions. like, does smoking cigs make your voice go deeper, i guess? and same with alcohol you know, or give it that raspy sort of rough feeling to it.

(@zacharias)
Estimable Member

Jim Morrison I believe is a Tenor actually, his voice is just very deep, not neccesarily low.
Smoking does indeed allow for an easier access to your lower range, but unless you're already a smoker, don't pick it up for this purpose, really NOT worth it. Alcohol does also effect your voice, alcohol irritates and stresses your throat much like smoking does, and they both dry it.

Zacharias Wolf

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Alot of years ago I was in a my first local garbage (spelled garage) band and they told me the same thing. "Here smoke this cig, it will make your voice raspier".. Ahh the start of my smoking career. Ohh and it never did make it raspier although it did give me asthma (According to my doc) and made my chest hurt. Was doing alot of drinking back then too but apparently it didnt help make my voice raspier either.

What did help was just alot, and I mean alot, of practice and getting my throat loosened up. It gets kinda "moist" in there and the raspiness is pretty easy to control then. (By the way I quit smoking 5 years ago, I do still drink occassionally).

I wouldnt suggest (Obviously) using smoking or drinking as a means to making you sound like a cool singer. Practice helps though.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@zacharias)
Estimable Member

Well its more-so that you've been pushing your voice in the first place, smoking and drinking deter healing of the abuse done to your throat.
My voice got beautifully raspy when I started covering Nirvana at 13, then I got heavily into aerosmith, and now my voice has a nice roadhouse rust tinge to it. Like geoo said, it takes practice.

Zacharias Wolf

ReplyQuote
(@aussie-rocker)
Eminent Member

Man... The 2 worse things for ANY vocalist is smoking and alcohol.

It will destroy your range, your power and your confidence.

Don't even consider smoking for this reason. FOR ANY REASON!

I can't believe you'd even be thinking that????

ReplyQuote
(@zacharias)
Estimable Member

I would in no way reccomend or endorse smoking (I'm quitting as I write this) or alcohol as a means of acheiving the sound you're looking for. There are many other ways to acheive this, PRACTICE. Some people just don't have the voice for raspy vocals, chances are if your voice is towards the nasal side, or clear naturally, you won't be able to acheive this effect with completely altering your method. But if you have a throaty airy voice normally, its alot easier. You can get raspy by just increasing pressure on your diaphragm and altering your resonance and ununciation, effectively belting, but with more control and at lower volume.
I agree with Aussie Rocker, smoke and booze will do nothing more than limit the sounds you can produce, and are horrible for your health and throat.
Hope you find the rasp!
Zacharias Wolf

Zacharias Wolf

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

from what i heard, lennon was raspy on twist n shout because he'd been singing all day in the studio and his voice was strained.

ReplyQuote
(@backdoor_man)

so that you voice sounds raspy you got to smoke a lot like half a pack of smokes
and drink a lot that is going to make you sound like jim morrison on "five to one"
but you are going to sound like that for two days...you can also scream a lot when
on a party or an concert and drink a loot of beer the other day your voice is going
to sound raspy...but all off these tips are a lot unhealthy and you are going to damage
your voice permanently if you do it...
you can try to force you voice to a raspy sound and eventualy you are going to get
used to it and it will sound like like that always...
but i recommend neither of these...try to find your singing voice and adapt
not everyone has the same voice...

here are some sites that might help:

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-Your-Own-Singing-Voice
http://www.wikihow.com/Exercise-Your-Voice

I just wanna get my kicks before this all shithouse goes up in flames, allright?

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I quit smoking New Year's Eve - the last few weeks, my voice has improved a lot (and it's been commented on, in these very forums...) - it's stronger, clearer and what's more I'm not struggling for breath in the middle of a line anymore. I can also hit and hold higher notes where my voice used to crack - not much higher, admittedly, but still - after 30 years of smoking, it'll take time for my vocal chords to clear, but like I said, in two short months, the difference is amazing.

Alcohol, I dunno - it can dehydrate you, but it's also a relaxant, so you're not going to tense those vocal chords so much. I wouldn't reccommend going over the top, but a couple of beers isn't going to kill you....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

After 30+ years of smoking I can't sing, of course, before that I couldn't sing! :evil:

But, after quitting smoking for almost two months, I'm MUCH more comfortable in my not singing! I can not sing for longer periods of time without coughing!

BUT, I've found that my not singing is still affecting everyones alcohol intake, I've noticed that they are drinking a lot more!

But, I've noticed that when my alcohol intake goes up, it doesn't bother me that no one is listening to my not singing! :D

On a serious note, DON'T SMOKE! :evil: :evil: :evil:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

After 30+ years of smoking I can't sing, of course, before that I couldn't sing! :evil:

But, after quitting smoking for almost two months, I'm MUCH more comfortable in my not singing! I can not sing for longer periods of time without coughing!

BUT, I've found that my not singing is still affecting everyones alcohol intake, I've noticed that they are drinking a lot more!

But, I've noticed that when my alcohol intake goes up, it doesn't bother me that no one is listening to my not singing! :D

On a serious note, DON'T SMOKE! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Doctor: You need to quit smoking, it's ruining your health!!!
Me: But, will I be able to sing if I quite smoking?
Doctor: Yes! Of course!!
Me: Great!!! I always wanted to be able to sing!

/or something like that.

ReplyQuote
(@mister-j)

Jim Morrison was a baritone with a deep dark haunting voice.

ReplyQuote