Skip to content
Completely new to s...

Notifications
Clear all

Completely new to singing and have no idea how to start.

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@paranoidandroid)
Topic starter  

Hi. I have read some stuff on how to breathe and that you should record yourself singing. I am pretty comfortable breathing with my diaphragm and I have a recording program on my computer so I think I am ready to start learning now, but don't really know how to go about it. I recorded myself singing "Jingle Bells" and it just sounds terrible and I try to correct it by changing the tone but nothing seems to work. I guess I just need some advice besides "just practice dude!!" I want to make sure I am practicing correctly. Thanks.

(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

It depends on what sort of trouble you're having. If it's pitch, try to match the notes using only one syllable. "One" always worked well for me. So, Jingle Bells is: "one, one one...one, one one...one one one one one...." Etc. The syllable you use doesn't much matter--pick one that is comfortable.

But Jungle Bells raises a larger question: The most important aspect of singing is passion. I have nothing against holiday music, but you must have music that you're passionate about and that you really, really want to sing, no? Why drag out Jingle Bells in March?

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

The first thing I would recommend is learn solfege. Then I would find others that are accomplished singers to sing with.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@paranoidandroid)
Topic starter  

okay. i was thinking of perfecting jingle bells first since it seems like a pretty easy song, and i want to get the basics down before i move on to an actual song i like. im thinking im just going to record myself over and over again starting by doing the one syllable thing.

i just dont really understand how to correct myself when i mess up. with the guitar, i know exactly what i am doing wrong since i can see the instrument and my hands. with my voice, i have no idea why i sound bad. am i just supposed to play around with my voice until it sounds right, and then remember what i did for the next time?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

just sing. it might take a while to build pitch control. have fun, pay attention to what you're doing while you're learning, avoid pain, listen to yourself. you'll figure it out.
most people don't like the sound of their own voice at first. record yourself, you might hate it, but listen again a few weeks later and the tone won't bother you so much, and you'll be able to more objectively analyze it.
i used to hate my singing voice. it sounded so much like my speaking voice, which always bugged me. but now i'm actually starting to like it quite a bit. i sometimes surprise myself by sounding like i have talent, which is a really nice feeling.
persistence is the key. i never had any training, so i just experimented and approached it from a lot of different angles.

ReplyQuote