Clear all

Connection between singing and voice acting

15 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

So I just landed a gig doing voice acting for one of those audio drama podcasts, and it got me thinking about what the similarities between working your voice for voice acting and singing are.

Any thoughts from any one on exercises and such? I can't sing for crap, but that's been pretty much summed up in other posts. :lol:

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

the words.
to me when singing the lyric or word is the most important part. enunciation is one part but feeling behind the word is the most important.
feeling can be expressed in many ways. like timing. using a pause at the right time can bring out the meaning of the word.,

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

So I just landed a gig doing voice acting for one of those audio drama podcasts, and it got me thinking about what the similarities between working your voice for voice acting and singing are.

Any thoughts from any one on exercises and such? I can't sing for crap, but that's been pretty much summed up in other posts. :lol:
Are you playing Shrek?
My advice is to make sure it doesn't sound like you are reading your lines.
Don't have a monotone voice.
And don't say the words with a cadence (as if in a poem). That tends to put people to sleep.

I might not have sung but I made a living talking/lecturing. And I've learned to keep an audience's attention (OK, it was class - my captured audience).

Say the lines in context to what you are reacting to or what was said to you.
Why did your character say that the way he did? What emotion is he revealing?
Also, you have to understand the motivation of the person that said the words so that you can impart that in the words.
Just the slightest infection or pause makes a difference. But to get that pause or inflection it goes back to understanding the motivation of the character you're portraying.

Have fun with it, Joe.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks alot for the input!!

It's a whole lot of work, but alot of fun at the same time. I find myself making strange faces when reading the lines and talking with my hands alot :lol:

I guess that will only help in getting emotion across.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

yes, facial expression and hand movement works.
when I record multi tracks with a vocal I do the singing with headphones listening to the guitars.
I move my arms and probably make faces when singing. I believe it helps with my vocals ...such as they are.
good luck with the gig.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@huricane)
Eminent Member

My advice is to make sure it doesn't sound like you are reading your lines.
Don't have a monotone voice.
And don't say the words with a cadence (as if in a poem). That tends to put people to sleep.

to me when singing the lyric or word is the most important part. enunciation is one part but feeling behind the word is the most important.
feeling can be expressed in many ways. like timing. using a pause at the right time can bring out the meaning of the word.,

It is both of these. Rather than notes to *speak along with*, there is the emotion, feeling and context of the words you are speaking. I would say the big difference is that in speaking in manner that conveys the emotions, and feelings of the text, it is the rhythm that is completly different. With music and singing, the music provides the foundation of the emotions and feelings.

In just speaking, You have to use a completly different rhythm to fully convey this.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks again for everyone's input on this. It's kind of an un-orthodox topic for a singing forum I know. I managed to land a couple other parts as well in the time I posted that first one to now, we'll see if these actually pan out into something.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

You might benefit from checking out a copy of Stanislavski's An Actor Prepares (and the other books in the series...Building A Character might be the best one for you, in fact, but I'm most familiar with AAP) if you want to ensure you are conveying emotion and "realism" in the voice acting. The books are very easy to read (written in the form of a journal penned by a student of a famous theatre director, so very easy to read and not jargon-packed) and readily available at most major bookstores and/or libraries.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@ishikasaxena)
Eminent Member

well there are lot of similarities and connection in singing and voice acting..... for both its important that you have a good control over your voice and it should not sound like recorded or reading some thing...it should be very simple and very genuine... so keep the difference between the both and enjoy singing.....n voice acting.... 8)

Cheers,

Ishika Saxena

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hey thanks!

You know I've just had bad luck lately with bands and voice acting gigs falling through.

The show I was the lead on...the producer got depressed said he didn't want to do it anymore, so now it's gone, 4 episodes recorded, but never aired.

But I do have a part in two different series, one is called Martian Manhunter, I've got one line in the 3rd episode LOL. However after this crossover run they are doing which is taking upwards of 7 episodes (or 7 months) then I will be written back in.

Then I finally landed, to me, my dream VA gig, which is a part in a Star Trek audio drama playing one of the bridge officers (I will start appearing in the 2nd episode, but I think it's a long way off since it's alot of work and just for fun anyway)

ReplyQuote
(@ishikasaxena)
Eminent Member

Hey Joe ...would like to watch those series man.... can you upload this videos and where i can watch this videos...will love to watch your performance..... bye

Cheers,

Ishika Saxena

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, here's a link to the web site that has one of the audio dramas...keep in mind you don't "watch" them, it's an audio drama, so it's more of a "theatre of the mind".

www.pendantaudio.com, the series in Martian Manhunter, the episode that I was in just came out, I've got one line...one. :lol: But at least I'm in the credits.

The Star Trek one hasn't come out yet, I don't even have the script for it, so I'm hoping that it won't go under.

ReplyQuote
(@ishikasaxena)
Eminent Member

Yeah, here's a link to the web site that has one of the audio dramas...keep in mind you don't "watch" them, it's an audio drama, so it's more of a "theatre of the mind".

http://www.pendantaudio.com , the series in Martian Manhunter, the episode that I was in just came out, I've got one line...one. :lol: But at least I'm in the credits.

The Star Trek one hasn't come out yet, I don't even have the script for it, so I'm hoping that it won't go under.

hey joe...thanks for the link and i know you must have made the difference with your presence.... 8)

and hey i want to watch your performance..well i dont know much about "theatre of the mind"...never heard about it... :(

well anyways thanks for letting me know about it...will definately listen to it... and will wait for your video to watch you performance.. :D

take care

Cheers,

Ishika Saxena

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

A video of me voice acting?? :shock: Never thought about that. LOL.

ReplyQuote
(@ishikasaxena)
Eminent Member

Then you should now.... you tell me...how many people have patience to think so deep and feel the feelings which you want them to understand,its very hard right.. that too through voice only! :D

Cheers,

Ishika Saxena

ReplyQuote