Notifications
Clear all

Creating a Personal Practice Schedule

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@calmerthanyouare)
Topic starter  

I have a question about vowel sounds and how they relate to vocal training. I've noticed from listening to Singing Success, watching YouTubes, reading, etc. that there are certain vowel sounds used to practice certain postures and I've even read that some vowels are more particular to certain ranges. In other words, a tenor might practice with one vowel sound (maybe a more closed vowel) while a bass might practice with a different sound (maybe a more open vowel).

Is there anywhere I can find information that outlines the use of each vowel? I just want to know for myself what to do to change my voice as I see fit. I want to be able to create my own practice routines based on my needs.

(@bemusical)

i'm not quite sure about the different vocal types and their best suited vowel sounds, but i do know certain sounds will have your vocal cords close naturally, and hence, over time provide the muscle memory you need to sing with closed vocal cords, which is what you want.

the "gee" sound helps you do just that -- but you'll find it's much easier to go up the scale as opposed to "go", since the "oh" is a "wider sound" than a "ee" one. once you've gotten the hang of "gee" and "go", try "no". it'll be harder, but if you keep the "oh" sounding almost like a "oo", you'll be able to keep your cords closed, making it easier to go up and down the scale. that will teach your vocal cords to stay closed while singing wide sounds.

if you'd like a customised practice routine you can be sure of, getting yourself a one-on-one teacher would be best. if not, just go online or find books and videos relating the the Speech-Level Singing technique.

i know i've suggested that in a few posts, but that's what i've been taught in and it's the only knowledge i'm confident enough to share with others, because it has worked for me. i really don't know if other schools of technique use the same principles, so i can't really speak on their behalf, but there's no harm trying. :D

Best of luck in your singing!

"Music is a hearing art." David Lucas Burge

A newbie to music? Just started learning to sing or play the guitar (or keyboard)? Drop by my YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/tuningmylifearound and say hi!^_^

ReplyQuote