Clear all

Developing a style

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I like to sing although I pipe down around others if I get caught. :oops: However, I tend to sing the song (whatever it is) like the singer does as allowable with my range. I know there's nothing "wrong" with that, but how did some of you develop your style? Did you just feel it sounded better if you said/sung it like this or emphasized that instead of what the orig singer did and just continue it with other songs, or did it just come out that way? Or does it happen more when you write/compose your own orig songs?

Just curious to hear how it happened for some of you, thanks! :D

(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

if covering a song, unless your a good singer and can go off on a tangent and get back without stuffing up, its generally best to stick to what the song sounds like (in my opinion anyway)

depends where you are though, if your doing karoke or in a car singing along with friends id tend to stick with the recorded vocals, but if your just mucking around somewhere its not gonna hurt to play around with the song, could even learn a few tricks while doing it.

everyone has there own style because of the way certain techniques emphasise the good points of each individuals voice and somewhat determined by their vocal range, its not something you really need to worry about its just something that happens

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Hey Erricka

I think its ok to try to sing like the original but you have to understand that you are physically built totally different than the other singer and God (or whoever you believe brought you here) designed you perfectly to do it best you own way.

Sometimes that takes alot of practice. 37 years and counting for me, but I still keep at it. Lessons help. Relaxing helps alot. Many times when I am covering a song I will sing it just like the artist (or atleast as best I can) until I feel comfortable enough to kind of do it my way.

At the end of the day its all about asking yourself... "Does that sound good" and if you answer yes then you did what you should do.

Good luck
Jim

PS sorry if I slaughtered you name. Counldnt remember how to spell it. :oops:

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

At the end of the day its all about asking yourself... "Does that sound good" and if you answer yes then you did what you should do.
Agreed.

Just expand on styles. Record yourself singing anything. Look around the room and sing "oh yea baby this keyboard, I type on it." Sing it your way. Sure, it's kinda retarded. But record youself. Play it back. Hear what you do like in your tone, hear what you don't like. Press record again, "and I'm wearing deeem jeaaaaaannnss". Listen...just listen.

Listen to yourself. And then once you think "aha, I like the way I sound like this." Record yourself singing a song that you love or something. Hear it back...does it sound like YOU singing it? Or does it sound like the original too much?

Be you. But it's okay to take from others at the same time.

Good luck.

ReplyQuote
 Trev
(@trev)
Eminent Member

"aha, I like the way I sound like this."

Just something to keep in mind, a lot of really good singers don't actually like the sound of their voice, even tho they have their own style and others like it. I'd say your style is however your sing when you "just sing" like Kevin said about singing random things. Unless if you sing off key :shock: then you have to learn to sing on key before you can just sing random things to develop your sytle which is just you singing off key :P I'm not saying you're singing off key though, don't get me wrong. Good luck anyways.

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all :D Stuff I never thought about, recording myself singing off the wall stuff that I normally wouldn't think about. I actually laughed about the keyboard line but it makes sense since it would be completely "original."

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I think, its not always possible to sing in the same way or the same key as the original song.

I have recorded many covers and hence can say that with confidence. You should initially try to sing in the original artist's style, however, if you find performing it difficult, then you can bring it down to your own arrangement.

Feel free to change the key, tempo, beat, accent points or any possible attribute of the song (but not the melody...). You, of course, don't want to replicate exactly what the original artist has sung. Windows 98 can make copies of files easily. So what we need to hear from your is your version of the song.

If you can make us have a new feeling while listening to a cover, yet remind us of the original song, I think you have done the job pretty well. And developed a style of your own in the meanwhile.

Keep singing. Its the best thing to do. :wink:

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I agree Rahul. I do want to sound like me and not imitate the voice. One day I'll get brave and get some cheapy equipment to practice with and then find a way to get it online. :D

ReplyQuote