Skip to content
Did I damage my voi...

Notifications
Clear all

Did I damage my voice? Can it fully recover?

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@dtp15)
Topic starter  

Well I kind of got into a yelling contest with my dad the other day, we were basically yelling at each other as loud as we could. Bad idea. I didn't lose my voice but I noticed it was harder to hit my higher chest voice notes. It's really disappointing cause I was working on increasing my chest range and got it to a G4. Now it really struggles on an F4. I'm really angry at myself for basically killing my own voice. Do you think a break from singing and refraining from talking will help me gain those chest notes back?

(@bfloyd6969)
Estimable Member

Yes, just take a bit of a break. Maybe some gargle solution may help too. But most important - never argue with your Dad!! :D (yeah, I'm a father... :lol: )

Why do we have to get old...

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Yes your voice will recover in a day or two.

Don't waste energy yelling at your Dad.

Here's a little tidbit of wisdom I've gained over time; Increasing the volume of your opinion will never change the other person's mind. Find another way. *

....and for your amusement a little Mark Twain:

"When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded how much he had learned in the last seven years."

* However, increasing the volume of your amplifier will drown out a bad lead vocalist.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I wouldn't disagree with Nick, and maybe he should get the last word.

But when I damaged my voice often, it took weeks to almost months to recover depending on the extent of damage done, and how - no need to explain.

But yeah, chances are that a few days rest will bring things back to normal. I also avoid gargles that are strong and have alcohol in them, except for Kahlua, rum and Egg Nog - or a flavored Soy beverage. :lol:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@djoxide)

Hey guys, I'm getting more worried about my girlfriends voice, she's a classical mezzo soprano and she spent a week in cuba with her best friend partying and lost her voice, and continued to damage it for a few more nights before coming back with almost nothing left...It's been over a month now since the doctor said she'd be fine in a week, and she still sounds hoarse and rough when singing, she doesn't get much sleep because she studies like crazy for school, and doesn't really give her voice a break (talks, tries to sing once in a while)...

I am very worried that the damage could be permanent...Blue jay, you said it took you sometimes even up to months to fully heal your voice, will she be fine after another couple of weeks do you think? she's young, 18, does that make a difference on healing time?

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Hey guys, I'm getting more worried about my girlfriends voice, she's a classical mezzo soprano and she spent a week in cuba with her best friend partying and lost her voice, and continued to damage it for a few more nights before coming back with almost nothing left...It's been over a month now since the doctor said she'd be fine in a week, and she still sounds hoarse and rough when singing, she doesn't get much sleep because she studies like crazy for school, and doesn't really give her voice a break (talks, tries to sing once in a while)...

I am very worried that the damage could be permanent...Blue jay, you said it took you sometimes even up to months to fully heal your voice, will she be fine after another couple of weeks do you think? she's young, 18, does that make a difference on healing time?

Thanks!

it seems to me that your friend isn't really resting the voice box. it also appears she is under a lot of stress; studying for exams=stressful. she has to get serious about healing and stop singing and chatting and drinking.
warm salt water gargles, warm towels around neck would be a simple therapy.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@popiutyress)

Hey, Active Rest is the best thing for getting your voice back into shape.

ReplyQuote