Clear all

False chords.

12 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
14 K Views
(@eremite)
Topic starter  

Ok, so most of you won't consider what I do singing, but I still need help with a question. First, let me explain where I'm standing. I'm able to do the low to mid-range death metal growls. And in order to do this you have to basically push air with your diaphragm (just like in singing) but instead of creating sound with you "real" chords, you use your "false" chords to make the guttaral sounds. Now this is my problem: I'm wanting to learn to do higher pitch metal SCREAMS like Norther's Petri Lindroos or Children of Bodom's Alexi Laiho (look them up on Youtube to see what I mean), but to be able to perform the screams they do you have to close your false chords a lot, which is what I'm having problems with since I'm used to keeping mine relatively open for the low growls. So is there anything that can help me tighten them up when I perform the screams? Thanks in advance!

(@nathan080)
Estimable Member

Hey,
I wouldn't consider it singing no, but its a different way to use your voice, personally I like the style very much. I'm a big fan of modern metal and I like to see the limits that people can push their voices too. Anyway, I've tried the technique, and I can make a sound like that, its not very powerful but i can do it. To get higher pitches I'd say (in my experience) its similar to singing in a higher pitch, don't just push cause you'll end up blowing your voice (especially with the pressure of screaming). Direct the air higher, so it resonates in your nasal cavities rather than your throat/chest. Try not to tighten up, and try not to go TOO loud, you want it to give the effect but you don't wanna be going so loud that you strain your voice, at the end of the day thats what we have Microphones for.

What are these false cords anyway? I have a feeling that thats the technique I'm using, cause my scream doesn't sound too powerful but it doesn't hurt my voice either.

Laters,
Nath

From Your Influence...
http://www.overplay.com/BandProfile.aspx?BandId=e78b497f-4f31-4182-8659-e8b6fa91d582

http://www.youtube.com/user/FromYourInfluence

ReplyQuote
(@eremite)
Topic starter  

You're false chords (vestibular fold) are located direct above you true chords. It, in no way, is used in sound production EXCEPT for metal screams. Like I stated before, I know how to do death metal growls. Only when I try to go higher it still sounds like my false chords are still loose (it still is higher but very raspy). Listen to it here: http://www.4shared.com/account/file/45060555/31e94a9/voicetest.html So that's why I was wanting to know if there was anything that could help me tighten them when I go higher. Or at least tell me what muscles I should be using to make them tighter, and then I'll figure something out. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

il give you a tip :P

dont 'sing' the high screams. your vocal chords will tighten and the sound wont distort across the false chords. YELL the notes. like you were doing a spoken work but loud. when you fall back into trying to song a scream its fails...but the voicebox forms a different shape for yelling and its makes all the difference. believe me it works :D

ReplyQuote
(@eremite)
Topic starter  

I'm not sure I get what you mean. I never use my true cords as far as I know (and I just realized I've been spelling cords wrong this whole time :oops: ). Would your false not work almost the exact same way as your true: the tighter (closed) they are, the higher the pitch?

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

nope...the false chords do nothing in the creation of sound...they just take the sound that has been made and add a crackle to it...and your throat being open wide on low notes makes it easier to distort...when you 'sing' a high note the throat tenses up and you cant get the sound to travel across the false chords in the same way...ie. higher note less distortion, it ends up thin sounding...by 'yelling' a high note you keep the throat wide open and allow the sound to be produced by the vocal folds and be projected accross the false chords just like a low note would be...

to understand this clearly you must understand that throat does NOTHING in the creation of sound. and only clamps down or suppresses teh sound if anything, the vocal folds produce sound, the sound is projected into your head area where it resonates, whether it be distorted across the false chords or not. seeing as the throat does nothing to HELP the sound its important to keep it relaxed and try to minimilise its involvement in the whole affair

ReplyQuote
(@eremite)
Topic starter  

Yes, I've long known the false cords have no creation in actual sound production (as in singing and talking). I think I get what you're saying now. Regardless if you're doing high or low screams, you should still keep them [false cords] relaxed. And it's actually the true cords that determine the pitch? The way I learned that goes against that, 'cause they said to use your true cords as least as possible. So it's like this, to "sing" low growls, you open your true cords and let it distort across the false; and for high screams, you close your true cords and let it distort across the false, correct? Thanks for you help. :)

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

i dont think thats right...if you close your true chords you strangle the sound...what you wanna do is sing i high note like usual but keep your throat more open than usual (yelling does this for me) and the sound will travel accross teh false chords...i think its all a matter of practice and finding what works for you. this technique lets me scream along to killswitch engage just fine :)

ReplyQuote
(@eremite)
Topic starter  

Ok, I didn't really mean closed as in allowing no air to escape. Of course that will cause unnecessary strain. Thanks though. I'll practice my butt off!

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

number one hint i can give you...screaming makes noise...and lots of it...you watch any pro screamer singing anywhere and hes not shy about making a hell of a lot of noise. thats how youve gotta copy him, not by making as much noise as possible but by allowing the volume to reach whatever neccessary, if you try and make it quieter you tense your throat and it ruins the whole thing

good luck bro!

ReplyQuote
(@eremite)
Topic starter  

Ahhhhh! :!: I completely understand it now! That's the main difference between lows and highs. Lows can be really quiet so I was thinking maybe highs are the same way. Thanks so much!

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

dadaaa! bingo

practicing in the car...about the only good spot i have to do it!

ReplyQuote