Skip to content
False Cords How Can...

Notifications
Clear all

False Cords How Can I/ Screamers Read This!

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
15 K Views
(@gorship)
Topic starter  

My Question:

Practice accessing my false cords?, i hit them be accident one night, practicing my screaming anyway I was wondering if any of the singers around here new any practice's to really learn how to "tap-in" to your false cords? I clued in while screaming as my buddies band played, it felt so cool i was so proud of myself, but i want to learn to make it really strong so i can transition and get a range with it and then sing/scream no problem at all, anyway if anyone has any info, its greatly appreciated.

My Note to screamers:

1)screaming should NEVER hurt,
2)you make it not hurt, by finding your false cords (which im trying to practice finding easier, its like learning how to raise your eyebrow in a way.
3)you can have amazing expression about your feeling, but dont PUSH your voice, you will hurt something
4) if you are "whisper screaming" STOP it, your slamming your vocal cords together and really harming them.

if you havn't watched "the zen of screaming" i recommend it to a point, its really good to learn how to warm up, and how to stay on key and such IF YOU ALREADY KNOW HOW TO SCREAM!, it took me a long time to decipher a lot of the stuff she was talking about cause she talks in codes with "above the pencil", "the dump", "marge simpson", but its very useful info once you understand.

(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

yeah iv been waiting for ages for the copy of that dvd to arrive, its shipping keeps getting delayed :S

i have found that while the screaming doesnt hurt while im doing it, a few hours later all the nose/throat area puffs up and it gets hard to swallow. therefore i dont reckon im doing it right, so i ordered the dvd. how about the 2nd zen dvd? though i doubt the 'advanced course' would go back to basics :S

ReplyQuote
(@gorship)
Topic starter  

puffing up doesn't really surprise me, it doesn't hurt and thats the main thing i would think, i mean its like working any other muscle, if you did 30 lbs curls for an hour you would be tired no?, vocal exercise is no different, after a while you throat would build up muscle because it knows your drawing from there (much like your ears with noise), but thats just what im thinking. at the moment i am still trying to research ways to practice using false cords, but nothings coming up, i guess i'll have to come up with some things myself.

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

iv heard the false chords term used but i dont know what it is, i thought it was a way of using the throat to channel the power of the lungs and diaphragm and distort it rather than overload the vocal chords themselves, but it doesnt hep find out how to use them :S

ReplyQuote
(@gorship)
Topic starter  

picture helps

when i think of where it should be in my throat after a while i can get it in the right place.

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

i cant see how they get involved in the sound producing progree :S

i was thinking, the false chords create the distortion sound, the vocal chords can only do that at high pressure or loud volumes, so technically wouldnt any crackly distorted sound that was made without loud volume or forcing really hard be using the flase chords?

ReplyQuote
(@auctionmusic)

I have a post on singing (feuchtinger singing method) and saw this so I thought I'd say something...

If you check this guide on anatomy, and any other one, you'll see...

Guide to the Human Body - Page 80
by Richard Walker - Health & Fitness - 2004 - 192 pages

quote:

"The upper pair, the vestibular folds or false vocal cords, do not play a part in
sound production but help prevent food being inhaled..."

The V folds are used to close the Epiglottis to prevent food from going into your lungs, nothing to do with sound...

You make sound only with your vocal chords, and screaming is just not a good idea but hey, to each their own....You most certainly are not screaming with correct vocal action, and you will eventually develop nodules on your chords if you keep it up. I'm learning to sing based on anatomical fact and not illusions. For example, head and chest voice are illusions as the voice always originates from the vocal chords. Your voice does not resonate in "chambers" in your mouth as these are filled with soft tissue and do not reflect sound...only muscle that is contracted (tensed) and bone causes resonation (try to get anything out of a limp guitar string, and notice that the inside of your acoustic guitar does not contain cotton). For example, with proper vocal action that is strong and developed, your layrnx is tilted and the cricoid is brought up firm against your spine and the spince bone will resonate. Your ability to tilt your thryroid down over your cricoid (thus stretching your vocal chords and causing sound) is the only way to go. The more the vocal cords stretch, the more vocal cord material vibrates, the more sound you have to work with. You can sing very loud and it is effortless and uses little breath.

hope this helps out...

russ

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

however, some screamers who do it wrong damage their vocal chords yet others who do it 'right' whichever way that may be have long successful careers without vocal harm. thus proving there MUST be a right way of doing it. and it IS possible to scream without any loss of voice or tenderness in the throat. screaming is jsut another type of singing like opera, opera takes a huge toll on the voice and many people ruin careers that way, yet people dont criticise opera singers like they do screamers :S the voice box can be used in many ways but you have to do it RIGHT

ReplyQuote
(@independent010)

I was wondering if there is any exercises i can use to help get a better tone with my false chords i watched Melissa cross's DVDs and they did help but im still looking for more ways to get better any ideas?

ReplyQuote