Clear all

Forgetting the words

16 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@picture-perfect)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have problems when i sing in public, i end up totally forgetting the words, does any one have any advice for me?
Thanks

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Use a sheet on which lyrics are written...

That is simple and effective ..period

Best of luck ,

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Use a sheet on which lyrics are written...

That is simple and effective ..period

Best of luck ,

Rahul

Very true. These days, the pros use teleprompters that look like monitor speakers...

And you can always make up the words, or re-sing the previous verse.

La-la-la!

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I hate the look, but when my band plays I bring a nice sturdy stand. I have a notebook with the lyrics to all our songs.

I find after I sing a song maybe 20 times I just remember the lyrics without trying. We have about 50 songs, I really only need to look occasionally.

One trick I have used is to put the notebook on the floor behind the monitor. Or, I have simply laid a sheet of paper with the lyrics right on the monitor. This way people aren't aware that I am reading.

There is nothing wrong with using a stand at all. But still, I want to eventually get rid of it. It just looks better.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@picture-perfect)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

okay thanks, i think most of the problem is stage fright and nerves, you dont have any solutions to them do you?
Thanks again

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

stage fright...do you play any instrument along with singing ?

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

okay thanks, i think most of the problem is stage fright and nerves, you dont have any solutions to them do you?
Thanks again
There are about a million tricks, tips, and pointers for dealing with stage fright. In the end, nothing works better than experience. The more you get up there, the more natural it will feel to you.
I truly think that's why a lot of big-name performers close their eyes when they're performing. It looks like they're really into this emotional performance, but I think they're just trying to block out the audience.
If you can manage to visualize yourself at rehearsal, or singing in the car, or whatever, maybe that'll help.
(but really, I think you just need to put in the time, there's no substitute, it'll come to ya)

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Thanks again

I find that vomiting just before going on stage helps :lol: Just kidding. I agree with scratchmonkey there's no substitute for experience. I've been performing almost weekly for 2 years and I almost never get nervous now. Unless I have to sing a solo. Singing solos make my knees knock. :lol:

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

I have problems when i sing in public, i end up totally forgetting the words, does any one have any advice for me?
Thanks

Are you saying you know the songs by heart but forget them when performing? Think this is pretty common - I have realised that in order to perform (not like big gigs but in general playing for someone) I have to learn the songs, learn them well and then practice and play them over and over in order to perform them ok. Funny how half of the skills and technique and memory seems to vanish the moment somebody is expecting something from you (well, from me at least).

You have this new song you've just learned, and it went really well home in the sofa yesterday night - and now your gonna play it and erh... what was the first chord again...?

Play more and then some more! ;)

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Funny this. Over Christmas one of the TV companies here in the UK showed a "best of TV blunders" type show. And what a shocker some of them were.

The reason i am replying is the incident that stands out was poor old Larry "Dallas" Hagman performing (I use that term very loosely) at the Queen's Royal Variety Performance. I don't know if anyone out side of the UK is familiar with this, but its basically an evening where the Queen goes and sits through three hours of all sorts of acts, singing, comedy, you name it. Its usually pretty crap but hey, that's my personal opinion.

Anyway poor old Larry, for some reason best known to himself, had got talked into doing a little solo singing spot. The song escapes me, but I think it was meant to be comedy....

Half way through you can see that "oh my good lord, I have forgotten the words!" look creep onto Larry's face. He spent the rest of the song going "la la la".

cringe makingly bad. But very funny also.

KNOW YOUR STUFF before getting up!

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

This reminds of the 16 year old girl who was to sing the Australian National Athemn in front of 40,000 people at the cricket between Australia and South Africa .

She got so far into the lyrics and for some reason lost where she was , so actually knowing the lyics really well may not be the one and only way to stop this , maybe some lyrics written down but not the whole song just to give you helping hand to remember the rest of the lyrics ..

This is just a thought

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@bluenotefla)
Estimable Member

It is very true that the words written out will certainly help and the more you perform the song the better you will remember the tune. The other part of the equations is if it is stage fright that may causing the memory loss, you will simply have to sing more in front of folks. It is for sure that at least 95 percent of the people out in that audience would not do what you a re doing, and well more then half of them can not sing any where near as good as you. One of the things I have learned to do is to make eye contact with people and to sing to them and to use this as a tool for getting myself more comfortable with the situation. But now if you are singing to a very large crowed, pick someone out up front and sing to, connect with them. If it gets to heavy close your eyes, and sing let all your heart and soul go right into the music. This will let you open up and you will be amazed at the reaction you will get form the crowed. Probably the most important thing I can say is breath the whole instrument of the voice depends on air. The better you sound to you the more confidence you will have and the nerves will settle down and you will have fun up there. The reason you are up there in the first place is to have an good time. I played with a man that said the whole idea to the make noise and have fun, this sounds glib but, it is true we do not do this because it is a job, we do this because we love the attention and the feelings we get from doing it. So whale and have a good time, I bet you are ten times better then you think you are. I hope this has been useful.

Life is not what you did. It's what you are doing.

ReplyQuote
(@sapho)
Estimable Member

I find with me I can play a song every night of the week for two years and I'll know it inside out but if I stop playing it steadily I'll lose it in a few weeks, months or so of not playing it.
Strange Phenomenon.
It's hard work to memorize and absorb the words but it's a very rewarding effort.
The less you have to worry about with words and notes the more you can manifest and show your virtuosity - the more you can be in the moment.
It's amazing how these old performers can come out in their tribute show and rhyme off their entire repertoire in an evening's performance.
But after 30 years of playing the same songs over and over again they know the words inside out.

Portamento - The ability to move from a wrong note to the right one without anyone noticing the original mistake.
Harmonics - The buzzing sound that string instruments make.
Impromptu - A carefully worked out composition.

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

I have the same problem...esp. if i think i know the song.

ReplyQuote
(@aussie-rocker)
Eminent Member

Have the lyrics nearby.. It doesnt matter these days. Most do it.

I saw Ian Gillan (Deep Purple) doing it recently.

Sure, it would be better if you didn't, but it would be a lot worse if you forget all the time too.

Perhaps after you do them enough, you'll be fine.

Initially though it's ok to use the words as a crutch.

Forget what others say, especially guitarists!!! lol.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2