Clear all

Good songs for a Bass?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey y'all, I started taking voice lessons recently, lo and behold - I am a Bass with a bit of Baritone range...and I'm 20. (which, according to my teacher, is pretty rare)

So if you have any friends who are afflicted with this range, and have some nice songs I could sing (I'm looking into David Bowie and Elvis...and a little bit of Black Label Society), pleaaase tell me.

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Is your teacher an operatic or classical teacher? if your teacher does know some contemporary music then ask if maybe they can recommend some music, even if all they can do is recommend keys then that's definitely a good start.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

My voice teacher is classically trained - but she was the one who suggested David Bowie's stuff, as well as Elvis. She's not so much into contemporary music, but the only basses I can think of are the ones in metal and country - for example, Zakk Wylde. Past that, she's recommended some Brazilian singers (she's Brazilian Portuguese), because apparently they LOVE bass singers down there.

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

And here I thought you were a bass player.... 8)

Motown! Barry White, Isaac Hayes.

Also, if you can get with a quartet, there are lots of fun parts from a capella groups like the Nylons.

-Laz

PS - You may not tell anyone I posted in the Singing forum. There are laws...

ReplyQuote
(@dustdevil)
Estimable Member

Try "Under the Milkyway Tonight" by The Church.

John A.

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.

ReplyQuote
(@aussie-rocker)
Eminent Member

Elvis is a very good start.

Tony Joe White.

Johnny Cash

Z Z Top.

There's lots!!!

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Why not transpose things you'd like to sing into your range?

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote