Clear all

Have a listen, if you dare!

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@fields-of-fire)
Topic starter  

Hi All,

New here and just roughly recorded a few songs this morning and wanted ANY opinions on the vocals. Previously I've had the odd comment “that was ok until you started singing” etc :oops: .

I'm not deluded enough to think they're great performances, but what I hear is that the songs are pitched okay-ish, a bit marginal in places, but the vocals aren't generally great and perhaps even boring.
Comments/input would be great as I'm not sure where I can go with this, or even if I can improve enough to be comfortable with the sound I'm producing. I'm a big boy so I really don't mind if you think it's total dross and say so.

Enjoy :?

http://www.box.net/shared/o085ubyx7n
http://www.box.net/shared/brr71znpg7
http://www.box.net/shared/nfcjzjsfqt

Cheers,

Woody.

(@hobson)
Noble Member

I have to say that the first song is a little boring. I think the reason is that what you're playing is doubling what you're singing. It needs some variety. On the other two songs, the playing complements the singing nicely.

There are places where you're not quite on pitch. Maybe this is because you're almost talking instead of singing and not getting enough breath support. Your singing style suits the songs that you posted, so it works OK. If you're just venturing into singing, you're not off to a bad start.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@fields-of-fire)
Topic starter  

I have to say that the first song is a little boring. I think the reason is that what you're playing is doubling what you're singing. It needs some variety. On the other two songs, the playing complements the singing nicely.

There are places where you're not quite on pitch. Maybe this is because you're almost talking instead of singing and not getting enough breath support. Your singing style suits the songs that you posted, so it works OK. If you're just venturing into singing, you're not off to a bad start.

Thanks for the input Hobson, you're kind of confirming what I hear. I just need to try and work out what to do regarding breath support so that I can maintain pitch. I also seem to have a lot of trouble actually finding a key that I can sing in, D often seems about right but not always. Some songs I try I can definitely hear it's not right and I'm all over the fretboard trying to find the correct pitch with little success :?

Guitar's easier than singing :(

Woody.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Welcome FoF.
You sing much better than I do, but I'l still offer an opinion. :)
I like the quality of your voice and your timing and expression is generally good. There's definitely potential there.
You have some good stretches and then phrases where uncertainty seem to take over...maybe you're nervous about a certain note...not sure, but it makes for a bad outcome. The pitch wavers and you sort of swallow/smother the phrase, so the dynamics go askew as well.
Maybe good practice would be some song where you really have to 'sing out'. A show tune like 'Tomorrow' (seriously) or even an old ditty like Oh Susanna. A song where, even if the pitch is not always on, you're committed to keeping the dynamics/volume up.
I only had time to listen to the 1st 2. They're covers, I assume? The first song seemed really odd to me vox wise. The vocals doubling the guitar is strange. What sounds natural, phrasing wise, on guitar seems really forced in the vocal. I'd be inclined to work up another song...
Hope that's of some help and again welcome.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@fields-of-fire)
Topic starter  

Welcome FoF.
You sing much better than I do, but I'l still offer an opinion. :)
I like the quality of your voice and your timing and expression is generally good. There's definitely potential there.
You have some good stretches and then phrases where uncertainty seem to take over...maybe you're nervous about a certain note...not sure, but it makes for a bad outcome. The pitch wavers and you sort of swallow/smother the phrase, so the dynamics go askew as well.
Maybe good practice would be some song where you really have to 'sing out'. A show tune like 'Tomorrow' (seriously) or even an old ditty like Oh Susanna. A song where, even if the pitch is not always on, you're committed to keeping the dynamics/volume up.
I only had time to listen to the 1st 2. They're covers, I assume? The first song seemed really odd to me vox wise. The vocals doubling the guitar is strange. What sounds natural, phrasing wise, on guitar seems really forced in the vocal. I'd be inclined to work up another song...
Hope that's of some help and again welcome.
:)

Hi Don and thanks for the welcome and also for the comments.

Yep they're all covers, the first is an old blues/folk song from the 1900s, Lord Franklin is classed as traditional and Black Sheep Boy from Tim Hardin, 60s I think.
I do sing it out a bit sometimes but only when I'm in the car :D, I might try and record a couple of others when I get brave but in the meantime I'm seriously considering some lessons else it'll just sound like that for evermore. Just doing my research on a few teachers.

Woody.

ReplyQuote
(@sirtk)

That sounds like accomplished guitar playing with unaccomplished singing (believe me, I'm an expert on unaccomplished singing as I have been doing it for years). It sounds like you are playing the guitar as the important bit and are trying to somehow fit the singing to it.
You may find it easier to do that if you record just the guitar track and then try to sing along with it, so that your emphasis and concentration is only on the singing and not the guitar playing. Then do them together when you've become confident with the singing.

ReplyQuote
(@fields-of-fire)
Topic starter  

That sounds like accomplished guitar playing with unaccomplished singing (believe me, I'm an expert on unaccomplished singing as I have been doing it for years). It sounds like you are playing the guitar as the important bit and are trying to somehow fit the singing to it.
You may find it easier to do that if you record just the guitar track and then try to sing along with it, so that your emphasis and concentration is only on the singing and not the guitar playing. Then do them together when you've become confident with the singing.

Thanks for the suggestion, and I did actually think about giving that a try. Also gives me a guitar only backing track to sing along to for in the car etc.

ReplyQuote