11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
jkeel546
(@jkeel546)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I'm working on my first folk rock/singer-songwriter EP this summer. I've been playing guitar for about 1 1/2 years now. I've never had singing lessons, but my sister has, and she has helped me with some things. I'd just like to know what you all think about my voice and how I've done for this song. Lyric/guitar/vocals are all me. :)

http://www.joshuakeel.com/01-Transfusion.mp3

Josh Keel

Check these guys out - Tree63 http://www.tree63.com

ligyron
(@ligyron)

I'm no expect by any means, but you have a unique voice and that's good enough for me

ReplyQuote
coleclark
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

im typing while listening...

little wobble on the low notes near the start
goes a little flat on the long notes (cant blame you for that :P )
a bass would make all the difference in this song
didnt go flat on the long notes this time
did you record the guitar and vocals separatly? timing doesnt quite line up when the single strums come in...well...it doesnt line up for 'normal pop' if your going with something a little different then i guess it works with the song alrite

whats the tranfusion of... ?

well it just finished...

it sounds good, easily listenable to, its not like any bad notes stand out and grab your attention, a female voice singing words during your long notes maybe the second time they come in could sound good (i know this isnt a mastered version im just giving what id think could grab the attention a bit more)
vocals sound pretty good (better than me :P ) and the song is quite well written.

well done for spending the time recording it all decently

*thumbs up*

ReplyQuote
jkeel546
(@jkeel546)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the responses, guys. :)

ligyron,
I never thought of my voice as unique. Interesting that you say that. :)

coleclark,
I ended up recording this several times, with several overdubs. Those long notes in the chorus were pretty difficult, and I know what you mean when you say it goes flat, 'cause I can hear it too. It just seems like that's the best I can get out of myself at the present time. I'll have to work on it.

By bass, you mean bass guitar? I hadn't thought of that, but it sounds good.

Yeah, I recorded guitar/vocals separately. It's the only way I know to get clean tracks. I didn't notice the timing. I'll listen to it again.

The transfusion is of pride. ("It's all... mine... it's all... just my pride.") My songs can be a little abstract at times. ;)

Thanks. It's comforting to hear that someone thinks it's not utter rubbish, as I'm sometimes inclined to think it is. ;)

Josh

ReplyQuote
coleclark
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

mate even the worst written songs in the world have at least some people that like them...avril lavigne's 'girlfriend' is one... :S and something for kate are a band that many people absolutely hate the singers voice, but that same voice is what everyone that loves the band loves them for, so to each his own, no matter how many people hate your stuff theres always going to be people that love it, i think singing/songwriting/recording is about getting it to a point that your happy with, and think its the best you can do. and the rest is up to the listener, you cant make people like you and you shouldnt change your style to be more liked, whats you is you.

ReplyQuote
Chris C
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi Josh,

I think you're going great guns. I liked your voice a lot, and you did a good job with the song too. Having just started trying to sing I know how darned hard it is, and how much work you will have put in to get there. To be honest, I rarely get to the end of songs that I download from forums, but I'm now on the third time through your song. I think you're well on the road to taking it anywhere you want. Impressed (and a tad jealous too). 8)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
progressions
(@progressions)
Reputable Member

I'm jealous too! It's true there are places where it goes a bit flat and I can hear that some more breath control would help things, but overall I really like the sound of this.

It makes the song when you go up into those long high notes, I am wishing I could do that! Nicely done.

Jeff

Isaac Priestley: World Racketeering Squad
http://www.progressions.org/
http://www.youtube.com/worldracketeer

ReplyQuote
brian f
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member

hey Josh great song! I'm very impressed. you have a really nice voice and the lyrics are great. Overall this is really good!
I'll start with the obligatory "I'm no expert"....I'm just a guy listening to your song...
I'd love to hear it with the chorus changed, basically breaking down those long sustained notes into maybe three parts...
"and its aaaaall....yeah aaaaaaaall.....aaaaaaall...its all mine..."
thats just my suggestion...I think someone else said those long sustained notes made the song for them.
All in all I really liked it a lot. can't wait to hear the next track.

ReplyQuote
cnev
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I think you done good, I agree with cole there are a few off notes here and there but nothing you shouldn't be able to correct. keep it up good stuff

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
xg5a
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Good song...just watch your endings. A few go flat, and a few are dropped altogether. Besides that, it's great.

ReplyQuote
jkeel546
(@jkeel546)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the comments, everyone. You've been quite helpful.

Josh

ReplyQuote