Skip to content
How do you keep you...

Notifications
Clear all

How do you keep your voice from changing throughout the day?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 edub
(@edub)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm not much of a singer and never have done much of it. However, I enjoy playing guitar and singing along with the songs that I play. In the morning my voice is decent, I wake and it's got a deep tone with just the slightest bit of a rasp to it, however when I have time to play in the evenings that's gone sound like a 12 year old with sinus problems. I spend most of the day on the phone and talking to people, am I just wearing my voice out, anything to fix this?

I have recorded the two and it's unbelievable the sound differences.

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I gargle with warm water or drink tea with honey when it gets bad. I have to avoid alcohol as it seems to burn my throat, or causes inflammation. There is no magic solution, in my case I just try to cope with the problem and optimize some success.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@grendle7)

Talking a lot shouldn't have much of an impact, when you sing, so I don't think it's the talking.

Also, you sound raspy and deep in the morning because your voice is just waking up too.

And, about the "evening sound," maybe you ate something that your singing doesn't react to well.

Like, whenever I drink milk, like three hours prior to the time I'm singing, it's hard to sing and I tend to have a nasty "trapped" tone. So, I stay away from milk, in general...for other reasons....

But, there could be tons of reasons you sound like you say you do...would you know any reasons why..?

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

You may be breathing improperly.

If your chest expands and contracts while talking or singing, it puts a strain on your vocal chords. Singers who "chest breathe" can risk getting nodules on their vocal chords and sounding very raspy like Stevie Nicks or Rod Stewart. The famous Broadway singer Julie Andrews got nodules, had the operation to get them removed, and is common with that operation, she lost the ability to sing and it ended her career.

When you inhale, your chest should stay stable, your diaphragm should move down, and your belly should move forward. Exhale and the opposite happens

If you watch a new born baby or your pet dog or cat you will see that this is the natural way to breathe. The "big chest" thing is something we learn but is incorrect.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫
If you already diaphragm breathe, feel free to ignore this advice.

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

I read the original post a couple of times and came to the conclusion that we're not all looking for the same sound. That morning raspiness and deep tone is something that most of the singers I know try to get away from. In the morning my sound is less pure and I can't hit those high notes. Warmup exercises help to get over that. But then I'm a soprano and not trying to be a blues singer.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

My voice is a bit lower in the AM but as clear as it is in the evening (I'm a baritone).

One thing I have noticed is I can hit a low E with ease at the beginning of the night, but by the time I've sung on stage for a few hours it's more difficult to hit it.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member

I've also noticed that I can sing pretty well at 6am on the way to work, but my voice also goes pubescent on the ride home. But, I don't do a lot of talking in my job.

I'm not an expert, so I'll make a guess. I would say that in the morning (after coffee), the voice is rested and fresh along with the whole body so singing seems to come easy. Although I'm not sure I'd want to do any breakfast gigs!

In the afternoon when you're trying to sing, you aren't fresh anymore and maybe some vocal warmups would smooth out the bad spots.

Just my 0.02

ReplyQuote