Clear all

How is my singing?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@tb1alexc)
Topic starter  

Hey folks,

I posted here a while ago, so maybe some of you remember. But I'm back, having learned a lot more guitar and (I think) got a bit more confident with my singing too.

I think I have a bit of a weird problem, where I can sing in tune perfectly with a music CD or something like that, but when I try to sing on my own or with my guitar, sometimes (more often than not) it sucks. Have any of you got any tips for how to deal with this?

But yes, anyway, on to the singing. It's a song called You and Me by Lifehouse, hope I haven't completely trashed it.

It's 100% live, no filters, and through a laptop inbuilt mic, so sorry about the quality...

You and Me.wma - 1.27MB

I really really really want to be a singer, be able to take my guitar around and sing and play to people, so any tips and advice you have I'd love to hear.

Cheers!

Alex (16, UK)

(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

Can't get it. You're using a bad file-sharing site--I'm getting directed to other sites with pop-up adverts, etc. :shock: Not good!

A lot of people use Soundclick successfully. in any case, it's always better to have the file stream rather than requiring people to download it. I'm sure you're great, dude, but I don't want to have to put you on my iTunes to find out!

Seriously, though, I'd like to hear your stuff if you can post it in a more user-friendly way.

ReplyQuote
(@tb1alexc)
Topic starter  

Sorry about that mate. Here's one on Soundclick

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=908775

ReplyQuote
(@velsing)
Trusted Member

hey man.

i don't know anything about singing, so i can't give you any tips on how to improve. However, for what my opinion is worth, it sounds pretty decent to me (better than mine at least.) Keep at it, i'm sure people would enjoy listening to you.

I'm not sure if it's due to the recoerding, but it seems to me that the guitar is a bit too loud for the vocals, but thats just my opinion. I'm sure the other members will give you some tips. Good job and good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

Your voice has a very nice tonal quality, but you have some pitch problems. Your voice is also very breathy, which can work in the acoustic context (e.g., Ray Lamontagne) but seems a bit over done here. As in most cases, breathing is the key. If you learn to breathe correctly you can clear up your stability problems. Also, try to sing more "on your voice"--that is, more speaky. Use the breathiness as an effect, not as your general vocal style.

But you've got real promise, it seems to me. Tone is the hardest thing to develop, and you've got that. A few months of vocal lessons will really get you going! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@nathan080)
Estimable Member

Your voice has a very nice tonal quality, but you have some pitch problems. Your voice is also very breathy, which can work in the acoustic context (e.g., Ray Lamontagne) but seems a bit over done here. As in most cases, breathing is the key. If you learn to breathe correctly you can clear up your stability problems. Also, try to sing more "on your voice"--that is, more speaky. Use the breathiness as an effect, not as your general vocal style.

But you've got real promise, it seems to me. Tone is the hardest thing to develop, and you've got that. A few months of vocal lessons will really get you going! 8)

I agree, I think your tone is good but you could probably do with some better support :). Look it up, there's LOTS of info out there on proper support :).

Good job, I enjoyed it

FYI

From Your Influence...
http://www.overplay.com/BandProfile.aspx?BandId=e78b497f-4f31-4182-8659-e8b6fa91d582

http://www.youtube.com/user/FromYourInfluence

ReplyQuote
(@tb1alexc)
Topic starter  

Thankyou all for your replies, I've taken on board all you've said. To be honest I thought it was going to be absolute rubbish, so it's nice to know it's not so bad after all! I'll be applying the techniques you've suggested, any more crits, tips or suggestions are most welcome!

ReplyQuote