Clear all

How to Start?

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@lacoocoo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey I want to start singing seriously ( for a rock band). I was wandering what I should do to start improving my voice....should I mainly start singing through scales and such to strengthen my voice....and then sing songs after a few months of doing scales?

What do you think?

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I think both sound like great ideas, i think a good idea would also be to record yourself singing and listen back, you might even like the voice you have already.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@zacharias)
Estimable Member

I reccomend singing pop music thats well in your range first, and do scales to enforce your voice and broaden your range. After a month a month or two of this try singing some rock. Don't strain your voice at all. Just do scales and other music until you have a feel of your resonance and can switch into vocal grunge without blowing out your voice.
I reccomend vocalist.co.uk for more information.
Good Luck!
Zacharias Wolf

Zacharias Wolf

ReplyQuote
(@aussie-rocker)
Eminent Member

Zacharias has given good advice..

Any type of vocal exercise is good.

Just don't push too hard. And not from the throat.

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

It looks like vocalist.co.uk has changed, is it just me or did the articles/etc dissappear? I know I was reading all kinds of interesting stuff on the site at one point but now it just seems to be pushing paid workshops and singing lessons and none of the information is there anymore? I'm hoping I'm wrong cause the old site seemed to have a lot to offer.

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

do you guys think its a good idea to tune your guitar to Eb and sing that if you cant reach a song in normal tuning and get good at it that way, or just keep trying to get it in normal tuning? if been practicing in Eb tuning for a while and doing scales to improve range but iv found that while i can sing them well in Eb, the songs are even harder now when i have the guitar in standard E tuning :S

ReplyQuote
(@vocalsource)

Hi, I think you need to consider exactly what you mean by improving your voice, because from my experience that can mean different things to different people, there's no external standard your aiming for here. What works for one person will not work as well for another. You say you want to sing rock which pretty much means that you want to adapt your voice to sound more rocky (remember some people sing ballads with a rock voice, and some people sing a rock song in a more clean voice).

To make your voice rougher sounding (and more rocky) you need need to push a lot of air through your vocal chords, whilst at the same time relaxing your lower jaw. You should feel as if your singing from the bottom of your throat (as opposed to the middle of your throat where you get a cleaner sound. A vocal tutor who has exerience in making different sounds and textures will be able to help you. If have just started offering telephone lessons to teach people this sort of thing.

Also doing scales will not help give you a rock sounding voice, though they will help your breathing which will help you in the increased breath support needed to attain a rocky sound....

ReplyQuote