Clear all

i can't play while singing

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@whitelightning)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I am a guitarist, but i can also sing, with some of m,y songs it is hard for me too consentrate on hitting the right notes, but i want to be able sing while i am playing, so that i don't need to get a forth member to my band. :twisted: any help one this would be nice :D

the most influential guitarist to my style is Tom Merello.

(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

There's not much to suggest, really, beyond lots of practice. It clicks at a certain point, and then you'll have trouble only during specific passages in certain songs, which may require a few run-throughs before they feel right.

The only thing I can say is to focus on small chunks of songs--when you hit a rough spot, stop and go over the measure or measures until it feels right. Don't keep repeating a whole song to get to the one or two parts that case trouble. Go right to them and work them out.

Getting this skill doesn't take very long, but it does take some effort and some concentration.

ReplyQuote
(@whitelightning)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I don't know many people who can sing ratm and play the guitar part ether, i can only do killing in the nam and knwo your enemy.

the most influential guitarist to my style is Tom Merello.

ReplyQuote
(@nathan080)
Estimable Member

Just go slower and slower until you get it right, then build up the speed. It is hard to do both complicated singing and playing at the same time... but it can be done, just have to practice practice practice. Zack De La Roche wasn't a singer anyway, just practice the phrasing, timing and delivery of the RATM lyrics and you should have it down...

FYI

From Your Influence...
http://www.overplay.com/BandProfile.aspx?BandId=e78b497f-4f31-4182-8659-e8b6fa91d582

http://www.youtube.com/user/FromYourInfluence

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

In my experience, the usual problem with singing and playing is that not enough practice gets put in on the singing. All too often we expect to be able to just open our mouths and sing. But voice is an instrument in its own right and needs just as much practice as any other.

I now try and rehearse the singing as much if not more than the guitar part. After all, the singer really is the star of the show and the voice is carrying the story as well as the melody, so you need to be able to 'sell' the song the best way you can. If you mark out a singing sheet with all the bar lines, breathing points, emphasis notes and so on and then rehearse it until you know it thoroughly, then combining the two isn't that hard. It's when you're still shaky on one or the other that it's tricky.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote