Just Started Singing; Recorded a Song

12 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@tldavis92)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I have been playing guitar for about 6 months now, but I just started singing while playing guitar. I recorded "Scarborough Fair", and I was hoping that someone could provide some feedback. Any and all criticism would be great! Thanks guys. (Guitar criticism would be great as well.)

http://www.soundclick.com/TylerDavisTyGuy

(@nathan080)
Estimable Member

Hey there,
The guitar playing sounded very good, well done. And well done for recording yourself and giving the singing thing a go... its daunting I know! But the more you do it the easier it gets.

If I'm being completely honest I was a bit bored by your voice. It sounded like the sound was getting stuck in your throat as if you were using your regular speaking voice to sing.

When you use your voice in music you need to think of it as an instrument, and treat it as you would any other instrument. Think about how to get the best sound and try different things to and achieve this sound. If you use google to look for some singing basics it will give you a better idea of what goes on when we sing. If you have any specific questions I will try to help, but I'm still learning too :).

Keep singing though :D
FYI

From Your Influence...
http://www.overplay.com/BandProfile.aspx?BandId=e78b497f-4f31-4182-8659-e8b6fa91d582

http://www.youtube.com/user/FromYourInfluence

ReplyQuote
(@athnel)

Music sounds good, your best by a mile.

ReplyQuote
(@ethanpallas)

Intonation is the most important thing. If you can't tell that you are out of tune (which you are) then you can't sing. The second most important thing is vocal production... how you make sound. You are just speaking with long and lazy vowels. That's not singing. Breathe deeply and open your mouth more. I'm not trying to be mean, but it's hard to give you advice on how to improve your vocal technique when you have none at all. If you are serious about singing, you need to take lessons. Guitar playing sounds good though.

ReplyQuote
(@daven)
Estimable Member

I like the guitar. The singing, well, stop speaking, get on key, and SING!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Hey there,
The guitar playing sounded very good, well done.

^^ This. :wink:
If I'm being completely honest I was a bit bored by your voice. It sounded like the sound was getting stuck in your throat as if you were using your regular speaking voice to sing.

I noticed that right off the bat too, and I also noticed that it could have been me singing. I bore myself. :( More on that in another thread to be created.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@ishikasaxena)
Eminent Member

Sounds good...liked it.....

You sing very well,....why dont you upload your video where we can watch you and where you will get more response and feedbacks...well no doubt that you get good feedbacks here as well but i was thinking you should take your singing seriously and start uploading your videos, you never know when you will get chance ......

Cheers,

Ishika Saxena

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

I have to confess that I didn't listen to the whole song. If that is you playing guitar after only six months, your playing is very impressive. Your singing is not so impressive. You are off key, enough off key that I couldn't keep listening. Since I never had a problem with pitch, I can't tell you how to overcome that. Maybe lessons would help. As has already been said, you also need to work on your breathing. It's almost as if you're not trying. Singing is work. You can't expect good tone to just come out of your mouth with no effort. Don't take shallow breaths. You should be able to put your hand on your stomach and feel it moving in and out as you breathe. Don't lift your shoulders when you breathe in.

Other than the breathing thing, I don't see how posting a video would give us any additional information.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@ishikasaxena)
Eminent Member

Well i agree with hudson... you need to practice alot... here what i meant was...if you upload your video, audio will be clear and we can also see you... i mean how you perform n all... it will be good if you place your video where people can judge you as well as enjoy your performace.... wht say..

Cheers,

Ishika Saxena

ReplyQuote
(@deo151515)

Hey!

You have a good sounding voice but your pitch was off on some parts im sorry to say :(

How bout you send me the vocal track (aif. or wav. file only) and I will put it in tune for you :)

-Daniel

ReplyQuote
(@bfloyd6969)
Estimable Member

Hey!

You have a good sounding voice but your pitch was off on some parts im sorry to say :(

How bout you send me the vocal track (aif. or wav. file only) and I will put it in tune for you :)

-Daniel

Now that's not learning to sing... that's cheating :wink:

To the OP, for your first time, good job. Singing is about the most difficult instrument to alot of people, and good for you for posting a clip of yourself. There were times where you were on key and more times that you were not. Because you were on key some times shows that you can sing, now you need to train your voice to always be on key (and I say this lghtly because perfect intonation is as rare as they come). Yes, as already stated, you are talking more than singing. Singing comes from the diaphram, not from the throat or nose. Imagine always having a tight stomach when singing. Use your stomach and push the notes out from there.

Now, Scarborough Fair is probably a bit of a difficult song to begin with. I would find some songs with less pitch movement and start from there. Work your way up to songs with more pitches gradually.

Why do we have to get old...

ReplyQuote
(@wengaff)
Eminent Member

yup... I agree with hudson too .... you have a nice voice but you really need to practice yourself over over the time... if follow what hudson said i think you'll get some improvement as soon as...

I suggest you must to breathe deeply and open your mouth more ...

ReplyQuote