Clear all

Morning Voice?

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I woke up this morning (sounds like the begining of a blues song) and after being up for just a little bit, started playing my guitar and singing. I noticed that a few songs that I have a little bit of trouble hitting the low notes on, I had no trouble on. I sort of know what kind of vocal range I have so I started singing the notes on the gutiar to see how low I could go and noticed I could sing a good few notes lower than usual with absolutely no strain. After another while of being up and talking a little, I noticed that my extra vocal range had once again disappeared and left me wondering where it came from. Is this only going to be a morning blessing, or can I train myself so I can access this extra range all the time, and how?

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

(@dneck)
Prominent Member

Heh well I always noticed just the opposite that my voice was raspier and had less range in the morning. If you warm up a little then there is no reason you shouldn't be able to hit any note in your range provided your not sick or anything like that.

You better schedule all your concerts at 7am :P

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

You may not be hitting any lower notes at all just hearing yourself differently because of congestion. However you can increase you range some by practicing.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

At first I thought it was just congestion making it sound lower but when I started singing some songs, the low notes were coming so easy. I have a chromatic tuner for my guitar and used it just to make sure that I wasn't crazy and I could sing a bit lower than usual. I found some people on the internet talking about how in the morning their voice is lower but it eventually goes away so it looks like those notes are only going to be a morning blessing. Looks like my concerts just may have to be at 7am :wink: that is when I start having concerts!! Maybe with some practicing and actually warming up my voice more before I use it, I can at least get part of that added range. Thanks for the responses.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Then again, when are you most relaxed?

When you wake up in the morning?

Then after that, you are preparing yourself for the rest of the day at hand and we ALL know how that can go!

I say you are relaxed to the point of serenity and only the inevitable daily events that you prepare for break you out of it, thus the lack of range.

Sounds good in theory don't it?

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

At first I thought it was just congestion making it sound lower but when I started singing some songs, the low notes were coming so easy. I have a chromatic tuner for my guitar and used it just to make sure that I wasn't crazy and I could sing a bit lower than usual. I found some people on the internet talking about how in the morning their voice is lower but it eventually goes away so it looks like those notes are only going to be a morning blessing. Looks like my concerts just may have to be at 7am :wink: that is when I start having concerts!! Maybe with some practicing and actually warming up my voice more before I use it, I can at least get part of that added range. Thanks for the responses.

If you can reach those notes in the morning you should be able to reach them anytime with some training and practice. Here's a link to a website that may help you some.

http://www.vocalist.org.uk/

There also are a couple of threads in this forum with tips on extending range.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I find that when I'm sick I can sing lower than normal by about a whole tone.

ReplyQuote
(@hcb7714)

I am studying to be a speech and language pathologist and was looking for some general info on voices in the morning when i ran accross your post. Your voice is actually lower in the morning due to a build up of fluid over the course of the night. This fluid causes edema or swelling which increases the mass of your vocal folds, the more mass the lower the pitch (think thicker guitar string here). Anyway I realize you posted this a while ago hope it's helpful.

ReplyQuote
(@thoroughdisgust)

hmm...this makes me think of a question! how is the best way to clear your throat of this phlegm or fluids without damaging your throat? cuz late at night, I can sing sooooo much better than during the morning or day...so how do I clear it out in the morning?

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

my voice is stiff in the morning. after I exercise it I can sing with better tone and range
or so I think.

I think the voice coach who posted should post here more often.
I am not begging for free lessons but critiques and tips would be good.

I sure need help.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Trev
(@trev)
Eminent Member

oh wow, we were pretty lucky to get such a good explaination. I've noticed i can sing lower in morning too, and my higher range isn't as good.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I cannot get any voice out of my throat when I get up in the morning...

ReplyQuote