Notifications
Clear all

Need constructive criticism

18 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

Okay, that link worked! And it's a Radiohead song! 8)

You could certainly benefit from some lessons. Tonally, your voice is fine--in fact it seems well-suited to the material. You definitely have pitch problems, however, including a pretty severe drift when it's time to hold a note. This is not a difficult thing to fix, but it will require either lessons or serious, focused study. First, study the notes. I mean really study: Use a piano or a guitar (whatever you have access to and can play) and play the melody, paying careful attention to the notes and their relationship to one another. Perhaps record the melody over the guitar track and sing along with it. You can always delete the melody guide track, but for the time being you need to focus intently on the notes.

The other problem is probably breathing. You seem to be singing from you throat rather than your diaphragm. Again, lessons will help.

As to teaching methods: Technique is technique, at its most fundamental level. That's breathing, relaxation, posture, scales to develop proper pitch, etc. Then there's problem-solving--specific things that a vocal coach might use to help you get past certain problems. Finally, there's stylistic training, designed to make you an opera singer or a country singer, or...whatever. Any good teacher can give you the fundamentals. When we get to problem-solving, you might need to be explicit about what you're trying to accomplish, so that you don't work on problems that are irrelevant, say, to opera if you're not going in that direction. Training in style is self-evidently based on your direction, so this is usually not a problem.

So, old classical methods are fine for fundamentals, but they are usually focused on an operatic sound. Roger Love is a little too poppy for my taste, but his book is really helpful if you're not heading toward opera. As always, lessons are the best option if you can swing it.

But again you certainly can become a singer if you choose to work at it. Some people can't, no matter what they do. You're not in this category, and I hope you decide to move forward. :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@tonycrf)
Eminent Member

I recently got the Roger Love Book and was very impressed with it. It is easy to read and the diaphragm breathing he outlines makes a huge difference.

Get the book.

ReplyQuote
(@oreochef)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm glad the link worked for you. I torrented Roger Love's book and cd off the internet, and its working great so far! I think I actually found my middle/mixed voice. I have far less strain from singing higher than B3 now (I'm a baritone btw), and can now get to F#4-G4 fairly easily. Before I've been obsessed with trying to improve my range (only being able to sing D4 without going to falsetto), so other areas have been neglected. I thought I had mixed/middle before, but it was just falsetto connected subtly to my chest voice. I'm going to keep doing the exercises from the cd as a warmup everyday before I sing. I will upload another recording later in a few weeks so I can guage my progress.

Thanks again for the recommendation for this book, now I can actually have the range and voice that I've been dreaming of. After practicing for a few months of course, but now I know that it can actually happen.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2